Tuesday, April 24, 2012

what a weekend

I worked the weekend and Esme was still coughing even with the new medicine. Nights were long and miserable, with many loads of laundry from her 'losing' what medicine and liquids she did get in waking up coughing in the middle of the night. Mark thinks she has caught another cold on top of the allergies. And she feels pretty good most of the day, but miserable at night. We are feeling a little bit of the 'under the weather' ourselves. I have today and tomorrow off - then two on, then next weekend off. I made 'semi-real' chicken soup, canned soup with added cooked meat, carrots and spices, for Esme this morning and forced her to drink as much of the broth as she would. Now if she can hold it down, it might do some good.

It is up and down cold outside. I have had a lot of trouble keeping warm. I haven't been out to the garden because I can't help having a tag-a-long, and she isn't in condition to be out there. I might sneak a few minutes to check up on things later today when we hit the daily high temperature. I need to sneak a look at the west field, as well.

I am knitting the hood on her blue sweater. It is looking a tiny bit large, but not swimming, so she will have a year to grow with it. I need to find buttons for it... usually knit the buttonholes and then go find something that fits (know that is backwards). I also intend to work out the crankiness in the sewing machine again later tonight or tomorrow. Every time I look at Esme's clothes drawers and think 'she needs more pants' I empty the latest load of laundry out of the dryer and find six pairs...





Loula has been doing well with her kitten charges...
She has been helping clean Pogo's orphaned kittens since she disappeared
for being without a mother since four weeks old they are scruffy but growing well





Kenearly beans sprouting inside...





Esme wanted me to take a picture of what she would look like if she closed her eyes and smiled at the same time... I thought that was a decent request...


Garden updates: The popcorn is coming up, as are the 'a squash' plots (saved seed - not sure if it will be what I want it to be). The lower hill squashes are still not producing, but the radishes are! I pulled in a handful and also a small amount of lettuce for a tiny one person salad. Ha. The west field corn is just barely visible with a microscope ... getting water over there will be critical for it to continue growing.  Planted cucumbers, cilantro and tennessee greasy beans.  Planted replacement beans in several of the beds and saw that a lot of the last round of 'replacements' were starting to come up.  Weeded the carrot bed and found carrots are growing there!  YAY!

bit:  It still freaks me out a little bit when Esme tells me she thinks I am another mama and the other mama went to work today but I stayed here with her.  Is she pulling my leg?  She told me the mama with the hair tie went to work today, she is not here - but I am here, and I have a pink shirt and I made her food.  

No comments: