Thursday, April 19, 2012

small crafts and the elusive hunt for canned squash

Today was for small crafts, getting some things done that needed to be done.  I made Esme another pair of pants, finished my knit slippers and made Esme a new pillow for her bed, which she helped me stuff.  There was a lot of laundry to do and some general cleaning up and weeding in the garden.  We spent a long time in town - Esme's new mattress had arrived site-to-store and we needed groceries as well.   Mark bought a large set of Scooby Doo cartoons and Esme is enjoying them as much as I am.  It brings back a lot from my childhood and I get to see her laugh and cry along with them.

I had the bright idea to try a can of Libby's plain canned pumpkin.  That is the 'winter squash' I remember eating canned as a child and have not been able to find since.  I have been looking in the vegetable aisle and for something marked 'squash' - altogether wrong.  All of this time it has been hiding under the label of pumpkin by the pie filling.  The 'pumpkin' I remember as a child was always more runny than this - that was what separated it from the 'winter squash' cans.   Now that I know we will be buying more of it over the course of the year.  There is something to it that cannot be replaced by sweet potato or carrots.  I mixed about a 1/4 cup of this can with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder and spread it on a piece of toasted bread.  I expect to use some of the rest of the can in thickening what is left of the other day's soup and save some in the freezer until next week.  

No comments: