Saturday, March 18, 2006

Saturday ramblings

Food: We walked down to our local health food store today. It is a strange and wonderful oasis of uncommon food in this little town. We are very glad to have found it. ;o)

Recipes I Like
Quinoa, except remove the pine nuts and add a can of diced tomatoes - preferably heavily seasoned with rosemary, basil and oregano. Fresh rosemary is GREAT in this. Garlic is good too.

Sweet Potatoes with lime <-- I have to make this next week, I am really having a craving.

Here is a recipe for those piroshki, although I'll need to do some work to convert this to vegan... veganlunchbox didn't have a specific recipe for them.


J also picked up four spider mums at the florist down the street -- they are very pretty and fragrant. He picked them up a few times in Fargo, and was missing them. They are a nice thing to have on the table, onc in a while. I'm not sure how long they will last around the girls. Sally already told me they smell 'bad' while Willow just thinks they are odd and the vase is very wet to stick her paw into. They both loved attacking the tissue paper though ;o)

My Neighbor Totoro came in the mail from Netflix -- We've been waiting for this for a while ;o) J is making two batches of pizza and we'll sit down to watch the movie with it.

I have to clean some, and Willow is mugging me badly, wanting to play. She brought a piece of cloth tied to yarn to me and put it in my lap. This is a new trick and I like it ;o) Much better than her 'wake you up me-yowling at six-am when I am bored' trick!

Sewing: Sitting down to a few projects, realized I'd lost my pincushion, and made one of these, as seen on Whip Up. Also found this pincushion while looking for the link ;o)

7 comments:

Rhiannon said...

Mmmm, the sweet potatoes sound really good. If you like them you may like this burrito recipe that calls for them as well.
http://www.cookingcache.com/vegetar/vegsweetpotatoandblackbeanburrito.shtml

I did not make as much, it is a very large batch. And I did not mush the beans and potatoes as much. Very delicious. I made mexican rice and did not bake them, this is how we usually eat burritos.

Carrie K said...

Remove the pine nuts? That's the best part!

I kept wondering why your neighbor came from Netflix until I realized (yeah, duh) that it was a movie. Head cold. Brain dead.

Chris said...

Thanks for the quinoa recipe link - sounds very tasty.

I watched Walk the Line last night and much enjoyed it. Went to a baby shower today. Now I'm just going to hunker down and read and knit and maybe watch another movie tonight.

Ahh. Fetch is a good cat game!! Altho not all toys brought to be fetched are appropriate - cats have a very poor grasp of physics. ("No, Chaos, that little piece of ribbon isn't going to go very far when I throw... No, that's not my fault. It's physics.")

Chris said...

Here's an interesting split pea soup recipe.

RheLynn said...

Thanks Rhiannon - that is close to a recipe I made on Monday - but with red beans instead of black. J really wants to make tortillas next week, so maybe we can do it again!

CarrieK - Pine nuts just never seem to keep well for me, and since we moved they are even harder to get :o(

Chris: Quinoa is so good for you - I highly reccommend it! Thanks for the coconut/split pea recipe! Walk the Line was a really big hit around here, but we haven't seen it yet.

cats live in a world which includes physics? **acts surprised**

Chris said...

Cute pincushion - and the "heirloom tomatoes" pincushions are great!

I eat quinoa pasta pretty regularly - it's about the best gluten-free pasta I've had. Plus it's just fun to say quinoa.

RheLynn said...

The pincushion isn't mine, but mine looks like a slightly lopsided version of that ;o)

It's fun to see people look at you odd when you ask someone 'Should we have quinoa tonight for dinner?' and they say 'Yes, I love quinoa!' ;o) ;o)