Friday, March 24, 2006

Reminiscing with Whip-Up's toy link

Whip Up has a nice post up today about much-loved childhood toys. When I was about four, I had a doll. A little baby doll with a pink and white gingham dress. One night, before we went to bed, my sister grabbed my doll and tore its head off. I think she thought it would go back on (it was plastic), but nobody could get it back on. I cried so hard. I was four, but I remember it clearly.

My parents made my sister, who was eleven, give me one of her stuffed animals, a little plush dog with long ears. Over the next six or seven years, I think 'Tina' ended up looking a lot like the rabbit in Whip-Up's post. Her nose and eyes were replaced, eventually, with buttons. Her paws, neck and ears were mended again and again. She got lost a lot - my parents always found her. I think there came a time I thought she was a little creepy... like Chucky... and she went up on a shelf. She is still on that shelf in my parent's house. I feel just a little sad when I think about it.


I feel a little better, but not much... but I'm going to get ready for work. I did knit a little on a sock yesterday, out of brown worsted yarn. I didn't have the courage to go back to the purple yarn for another round. Watching lots of X-files while you are sick can't be good for you, can it?

Link: Mollychicken has a cute bunny posted in a travel bag.

This at Etsy is tempting me... but I still have a purple sock to go!
This bag is giving me ideas for the one I still need to make.

KnitOwl in Progress
I'm going to try for two goals today:
1. Finish the red bunny that was posted a few days ago... he is so close.
2. A paperback book pocket/cover, because my bookmark came in the mail. **cute owl**
I made it, but it is about 1/8" too small to fit my book! **sigh** So, it is now a 'sewing clutch', because those things that I used to carry in my totebag fit nicely here! It even has room for an unfinished bunny or owl to be taken along. The one thing that wouldn't fit was my new pincushion, so I made a tiny fish pincushion to attach inside ;o)

Sorry about the flickr links, but Blogger isn't cooperating with uploads from Opera

8 comments:

Chris said...

Don't overdo it!!

Your story reminds me of my brother's much beloved "Horsie," altho fortunately he never became creepy.

I can see why that yarn tempts you. Very pretty. :)

Anonymous said...

I had a bear that I loved to pieces as a child. My mom has a picture of me holding it while I'm dressed up as a nurse. My bear makes me sad sometimes, too. He is one of the only things from my childhood that I have left.

Wow. Was that pathetic or what?

RheLynn said...

actually, it is really sweet ;o) Thanks!

Chris said...

Oh, that etsy bag is very clever - it'll be fun to see what you come up with for yourself.

RheLynn said...

I tried a little of that patch applique (like on that bag) -- it is harder than it looks!

Chris said...

I thought that was an owl pincushion. ;)

RheLynn said...

?? the little fish pincushion looks like an owl? I guess it kind of does if you turn it sideways!

I have to make another one of these -- the right size this time. Right now I have lots of project ideas and not much physical ambition...

Carrie K said...

I just looked at the bag and not the owl/fish pincushion. Cute! I want to sew and knit and read and watch TV. Instead of, you know, Not Working and Fooling Around At Work.

I had a stuffed purple snake named Slinky that I used to make a U shape around me with at night and drag around during the day (at home).