Tuesday, September 19, 2006

He Wants me to Knit in the Dark. What?



*sigh* For the past two years, Mr.J and I have been having an ongoing debate. Neither side has moved. I think it's a little ridiculous - but he insists it is necessary and I am ruining his circadian rythyms.

He wants me to knit in the dark. At least, that is what it amounts to.

Here is my side. We usually don't get home until 8 pm at night - and until about midnight I read, knit or craft until I am tired. Then I go to bed, and get up the next morning about 8 or 9 am to get ready for work. He doesn't usually get up until at least 11 am, unless there is a meeting or flea market to go to. He often stays up the entire night, then crashes at 5 am and gets up at noon.

He says this is my fault. I leave the lights on 'after sunset', which ruin his internal rythym, and makes him unable to sleep. I've 'tricked his brain' into thinking the sun is still up - so he wants to be up and working at night. What? Lights off after sunset? Hello? What did we invent electric lights FOR?

I don't think I'm the culprit. We were night-owls (knitowls?) long before two years ago, both of us. Then he took a hotel job as a night manager for a year. Ever since then, he's had this 'The Light - it blinds me and I can't sleep!' issue. I offered last night to buy him a pair of sunglasses to wear in the house, so I can at least knit in the kitchen while he is 'adjusting his eyes to the darkness.'

OK - sorry, but I had to vent on this. You can just feel the sarcasm drippinng off every word, right? How am I ever going to get anything done if he makes me knit in the dark? I'm not a kid, and I don't want to go to bed at 8 pm!

If my computer is really good later - you'll get a picture of a playful Sally cat ;o)

Linky: Lilith tank top pattern that might do well for the black Mandarin Cotton yarn I won on Ebay. Kudos to Snarkland for blogging about her use of the yarn!

Also: Tempest at same site, has cool shrug/coat and a tank that looks easy.

11 comments:

Jeanne said...

He needs one of those satin eye cover things....you know, with the elastic that goes around his head, commonly seen in 50s and 60s sitcoms right next to the two double beds in the master bedroom. Seriously. Michael has one because I am a far more dedicated nightowl than he.

Anonymous said...

Well, perhaps when he gets home, if you both get home at 8:00, don't turn on any lights and let him just go on up to the bedroom in the dark. Once he is safely (and darkly)there, then you can turn on the lights in the other rooms to knit.
I don't care what anyone says...women are not nearly as high maintenience as men.

Jennifer said...

He needs eye covers. I gotta agree with Jeanne on this one.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the idea of eye covers. Really. Or slip a sleeping pill into his drink. Naw. That would be sneaky. :-)

Chris said...

Hmm, maybe he needs a coffin in the basement or something. ;)

Anonymous said...

Those eyeshades are awesome. I'm a go-to-sleep at dusk (normally) and wake-at-dawn but I've never been married to a guy who didn't like to stay up long past midnight. Hence, eyeshades. It was either that or the old Chicago song about artistic differences......he saw himself as alive and I saw him.....

They worked great in DC too. I was crashing around 8pm out of exhaustion but my sil is a night reporter and couldn't get to sleep. She got to sit up and read and I got to fall asleep in the dark.

mrspao said...

I agree with eye covers, too. Otherwise get some of those knitting needles with lights in :)

Kelly said...

I am really having my doubt that this will solve his late night woes. Lights or no lights, I would place my money that he is just a plain old night owl.

thursday said...

Okay, that's ridiculous. At least my husband doesn't blame *me* for his going to bed at 4am, getting up at 12pm thing. Being a nightowl is genetic ya know (according to a BBC thing I heard a few weeks ago - ha! we can't fight it!!). I do blame him, though, for my getting in late to work ;)

Obsidian Kitten said...

Have you seen this pattern for the Razor Cami? If i can make it, it must be easy...i used 100% cotton for the botton 1/2 of mine, then ran out & had to switch to merino.

It has no shaping and the lace is REALLY easy, just a yarn-over thing. I never did anything "lace" before, and i got used to it after just trying a small swatch of it. I also never made anything i could actually wear before (aside from scarf, hats, and wristwarmers). So i'm very excited about it!

me & my spouse are on schedules about 3-6 hours apart (i'm the owl)...i agree that some people are just naturally owls. i've been one ever since i was a kid...i'm just not fit for human consumption in the morning.

RheLynn said...

Shannah - I was thinking about your cami too! Thanks a lot for posting the link to it!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - I think we still have one of those sleeping masks leftover from the hotel job - now to find out where it is and keep it out of Sally's paws!