Tuesday, July 25, 2006

3 New Charges, some bad news and some good news

Doria as a kitten
Another kitty, Doria, has gone missing - and she left kittens.
That is her in the pic above, as a kitten herself.
Something is out here in these woods now -- and it has me worried!


We have three new charges at our house, three very small kittens who have been without their mother for about four days*. They were found in a valley near our office, and we haven't seen the mommy cat Doria for way too long, for a mommy cat that is. Doria belongs to someone at our office, but she's not an inside cat. She does show up like clockwork for feeding time, and hasn't for four days, while nursing kittens -- not a good sign.

I don't know what our girls are going to think - and these kittens have health problems already... I hope we can do something for them, at least. There will be pictures later, these kittens are not in good shape, which is why we have intervened.

Doesn't it seem every time I turn around I'm posting about some kitty that needs our help, or that could use some TLC? Well... it hurts me more when I can't do anything about it - and these three little ones ARE within my reach to help. It might break my heart either way - but they're coming home tonight.

UPDATE: 7:00 PM
All three of them have suckled formula greedily (from a bottle) so I have hope. They are at the 'I'm walking but it's wobbly' stage. One, a gray boy, has been bitten by a bee or a snake under his jaw - and has one whole side of his face swollen badly.. but he was still able to suck - so he might make it after all. There is a gray girl (I think) and an orange boy (who purred loudly at me when I removed three small burrs off the top of his head and took a warm washcloth to him).


In good news, Sugar was adopted! You might remember I posted a bit about her last month, and she has finally gotten a home. I hope her new owners are good to her!

*: Doria's owner was feeding them ground-up wet cat food outside. But - they can't eat much of it, and they need some milk replacer, lots of cleaning and TLC.. not to mention someone to look after them because they were huddled up under a board outside the office fence!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Poor babies! I hope they improve and find good homes. Thank goodness you are there to care for them.

Anonymous said...

So pleased to hear that they are all three still hanging in there! Poor little things. I'm such a sucker for a kitty face...which is why I now have six cats!

Anonymous said...

Poor little babies. I'm so glad that you're helping them. Helping 3 is way better than helping none. Hope they get better soon.

Chris said...

Oh, the poor kittens! I'm glad you rescued them and that it looks as if they might make it. Sounds like a whole lotta spaying needs to go on 'round there...

Obsidian Kitten said...

yay for sugar & her new home! she's such a cutie.

and fingers and xtra toes crossed for your new charges...

Crazy For Yarn In Alabama said...

I don't understand why people with pets can't be responsible and have their animal fixed!! I wish I lived closer I would love to adopt one of the kittens!! Thank goodness there are people like you in the world to intervene!! It worries me about Doria too.....I would like to think that someone saw her and thinking she was a stray picked her up and took her home. I can't STAND to think about anything else!! You surely have many stars in your crown for caring for all these sweet little homeless creatures!!!

Carrie K said...

Aw, Doria looks a lot like my Sheba and Hezekiah.

And I'm so glad you're doing the kitty rescue bit.