Saturday, April 25, 2009

Outside at Night in the Dark



Last night Esme was adamant about going outside - even though it was dark out. She brought me her shoes, and brought Mark his shoes, and then I got one of each of my different types of shoes.

So - unlike usual I put all of our shoes on and invited Esme to walk out the door with me - and she came. She got to the edge of the porch in the dark and then immediately ran back to the door and cried. BUT - then she realized that inside meant 'inside' - and turned back around and marched down the steps! All that without me saying anything more than 'are you scared do you want to go inside?'

Besides clinging tightly to my legs she definitely enjoyed the warm night outside. She had a great time looking and pointing at the stars and being carried around so she could stare at the sky without falling over. I kept talking to her how things were the same things we saw in the day, but this was what it was like 'in the nighttime, in the dark.' As I carried her around saying these things I felt a special moment was going by - something that would never quite happen again.

(Picture is Esme doing the same 'stare at the stars' she did last night - but it was at the carnival the night before that -- which wasn't quite the same because the carnival was lit and we could see everything - outside last night in the dark we could only see each other by moonlight)

No comments: