Tuesday, July 03, 2007

New Loom

I've wanted a 'real' loom since I was a teenager. I tried to build one several times, but it never stood up to the wear, or missed key pieces. I've woven items on picture frames, cardboard, books, doors and most recently, the found frame that used to be part of a table. Yes, that is what the big frame I've been using for the dream bag is - and it has done quite well! However, I still wanted a loom with a heddle, and something portable. A few days before my birthday I ordered this.


It's a Beka loom from Dick Blick catalog.



A few minutes work with their already-warped setup gave this.


How to Warp a Rigid Heddle Loom <-- so I'll remember later.


I'm hittinng the home stretch on the dream bag, as well.

This will be one side, and you've seen the other. I'm still using the finger pick up method to get the shed on this, or it would be going a lot faster. Those long bars with all the slots are called 'heddles.' They allow you to pick up the sheds just by pushing the bar up or down and scooping them all up at once.

Baby Update: We see the doctor again on Thursday. She has been kicking me furiously between eight and ten at night as her chosen 'awake' period - but also at random times during the day. I'm finally starting to feel awkward bending over for things and will be asking the doctor what is the best way to do that - since my book only shows the proper way to 'lift small packages'... How long will it be before a piece of paper on the floor defeats me? *grin*


Thanks for all the well wishes yesterday. In all but the law, I was 'divorced' that morning in January when I made my final decision. I am happy to have the legal part finished though finally.

5 comments:

Chris said...

My aunt used to have an absolutely massive floor loom - I suppose those cost a fortune?

Jeanne said...

New toys! How exciting. My friend looked 9 months pregnant when she was a mere 6 months along, so I'm sure it varies from person to person. Enjoy bending over while you can.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy sitting on the floor while you can, too. That can be a real challenge!

Have you ever used and Inkle loom? They just do narrow strips but I used to have a book on how to make one.

Jennifer said...

Congrats on the loom!

Just wait until the baby kicks your bladder. :-)

mrspao said...

Beautiful loom :) I'm looking forward to seeing what you weave.