Sunday, October 23, 2005

The Rescue of the Size 6 Needle
and other circular adventures



I feel like being silly today.
Mom's slippers are DONE!


I am going project hunting. There is a dishcloth pattern I want to try here. Now I have to learn the yarn over stitch... which has been eluding me. I went through all of my needles and couldn't find a single pair of size 6 OR size 7! Then, I remembered I had broken my size 7 plastic needles on the capelet-that-never-was...

But, luck still shone! After some disappointing ebay-browsing, the light bulb went on. Then, I was in the bottom of the closet, pulling out hangers, boxes of unpacked junk and other miscellaneous. Found! An old slipper project on a pair of plastic 6's! Then I began the 'rescue'. By 3 in the morning I had the old slipper project done and the pair of 6's were mine! *insert evil laugh*

So, Monday or Tuesday I will start struggling with yarn over.

I also dug out my size 6, 16" circular needle and cast on a ribbed hat. So far, taking most of the stitches onto stitch holders and trying it on, it fits. Just a little more and I can transfer it to dpns and start decreasing. I made it in the same 'So Soft' green yarn as my biking headband. We'll see if it all works.

I went to KnittingHelp and watched the videos on knitting and purling in different styles. I am not an English knitter. I am not a Continental Knitter... entirely. I am not a 'Combined Knitter'... entirely. Whatever lightning-strike form of knitting I am doing, does not exist as a declared style ;o)

So... the tale goes on, will I learn yarn over? Or will I be brought to my knees by my own misbegotten style of knitting?

Tune in next week... same blog, whatever time.

2 comments:

Knit Spot* said...

Thank you for the kind words about my blog - I hope you will stop by again in the future.
By the way - I have just graduated past scarves myself! I have a long way to go before making actual clothing!

Rhiannon said...

We have simmilar needle problems!! I read through bits of your blog and said to my husband how we were sort of simmilar as well. Are you vegan or just your hubby? Mine is a vegitarian. And we also ride bikes. I know, not a lot. But funny! Thanks for the comments! I was very excited.