Thursday, May 20, 2010

Rainy rainy days and old projects come back

The one year dress McCalls M5606

I made this dress when Esme was four months old. I don't think I ever posted it on the blog - just on my flickr account. It was supposed to be a one year size - and I never completely finished it because I was annoyed by the seam tape in the armholes. I finished it today - BECAUSE - it fits Esme now. And she is in size 3 and 4 vintage patterns... so either I messed up at the time or the 'new' pattern I had made it out of had the sizes really off compared to the vintage. That is true in women's sizes but I didn't think it was in kid's sizes. Anyway, I finished the hem and added it to the pack of things that fit her now. I doubt the seam tape will wash well, but it's better than hiding away in the storage box forever. I put her Christmas dress from 2009 (in the pictures) away in the storage box. It is still in such nice condition and I would love her to have it when she is older.

Esme is doing something odd today - climbing up in my lap and then squeezing her eyes really tight and sitting there clutching me. She was either afraid of the lightning/thunder or about to sneeze.. we were trying to figure it out. We both slept for twelve hours straight last night so I was wondering if she is coming down with something. I took her temperature and it was normal. I asked her if she wanted a bath and she stopped doing it and ran to the bathtub, happy as could be. She's done it a few more times today but the rain is just now clearing up - so we'll see if it continues. Mark says he's seen it before, but didn't know what she was doing then, either...

Now that the power is back on (it's been out so many times this morning) I'll dig on my worktable and see what else I can find. Maybe I'll finish the hem on the size 5 dress and put it in the storage box. Then I have several pairs of pants to make when I get longer strips of time to work with.




Pictures of Esme playing with a ram sheep (Grandma's) and a frog last night. She is putting blankets over them because they are cold. The "blankets" were cleaning cloths I've made and were sorted out of the regular laundry in order to go back downstairs to the linen shelves.

NOTES Finished the size 5 and put it away. Finished a pair of shorts to match the blue sundress. Still have the others waiting for me over there -- thinking what I'd do with all this fabric if I didn't have a little girl that could practically use clothes.... as in: there will be a day she doesn't WANT me to make clothes for her - so what else will I do? haha. I do a little quilting but it isn't as interesting as the '3D' part of making clothes. And - it takes a lot more fabric and more time to make clothes for me!

I made Esme some cardboard houses with roofs that come off. She likes it - a good cheap toy! She put her Playmobil grandma and little girl in it and they asked if the other was home, etc... I'll have to make her something bigger when I have more time. Mark also made Esme a pair of pipe cleaner glasses and she was really excited about that toy :)


Then I drew a happy monster. Esme was scared of him before I had him offer her an apple. Then she wanted an orange instead. Then she thought he was friendly and had to have a hat and shoes - and the bird flying overhead had to have a hat and shoes, too.

1 comment:

Maya Kuzman said...

The dress is absolutely adorable! You must be happy not to make anything in vain!