Wednesday, May 07, 2014

bits

The garden is coming along - a cucumber and a summer squash are sprouting, as well as the cowpeas, corn, sunflowers, marigolds, zinnias, radishes, morning glories and kale...hoping the next few days bring more cucumbers and squash.  I want them to try to get as early of a start as they can in this late Spring to get ahead of the bugs I know will be coming June and July.  Our pepper is alive, and all but two of the tomatoes.  There are more of both of those inside that can be planted outside perhaps tomorrow.  The sweet peas are climbing the fence and my climbing black Shackamaxon beans seem to be coming well.


 The perennial, herbs and greens part of the garden.  Some things are coming up well...  I was happy to see our Icelandic poppies coming back, gladiolus, hosta (not here, but across the garden) and the lemon balm, oregano and mints coming back.  Some Cosmos might have reseeded, but I planted more, too.  The real surprise was a row of carrots from last year that had tucked itself in by the gladiolus and is coming back in full strength!  Carrots are biennials - so I might get to see some flowers and seeds if I leave them there.  I planted this year's carrots by the peas... we'll see how that goes. 


Sweet peas climbing the bean fence.

Tomatoes are there, but barely.  I have more inside that are started.  It's been a hard year for the warm weather things so far - and the old gardener at work says it might drought later in the year and make it even harder.. he has 100 tomatoes in his greenhouse, because he really thinks he will lose half of them...

The English daisy plant we bought in April

Esme is doing a bit better with her allergies/cold that was developing this week.  She ran happily up the road for her school bus (with us close behind) this morning.  The chickens are doing well, also.  I really need  a day off, which is Friday, although it will likely be spent cleaning their coop, cleaning the house and possibly planting more.  We know me.. I will probably plant something - I have a list ;)  That list includes putting up another bean fence between the tomatoes and the corn, to put more pole beans on.

Chickens and Rooster

I did an experiment in the kitchen on our wooden 'rug'.. practicing making borders with masking tape and paint.  We'll see how that pans out - otherwise nothing really lost.  I really should patch a pair of Esme's pants.  Other than that what really needs to be done the most is sorting and cleaning.  There are only a few weeks left of school and the days will continue to get warmer... I hope we'll hear soon about Esme's testing she did last week, and if she is going on to first grade next year (which I think she is.. but the teacher expressed that concern at the Easter Party, which I think was just a 'she'll have trouble' not a 'we won't pass her.'  She has come so far this year - it is hard to believe it has been less than a year...

No comments: