Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Treasures found... art made


medium weight cotton 'denim' in mustard
and light weight cotton denim in navy


I found these fabrics last night after work... it was such a great find for very little money. Mark even said it was well spent.


Esme's treasure trove


I was cleaning this morning and getting ready to throw away/put away some of the little assemblages Esme makes on her shelves.. and I found these all hidden away between some toys. She has been collecting treasures out of the buttons I let her play with, like a little magpie! Apparently she likes rhinestones! I can honestly call it treasure because her treasure chest was one of the toys piled on top of them.

LATER: Esme and I spent some time in our downstairs room, the one that is supposed to be hers some day when we finish it out and solve the drainage problems in the garage (adjacent to it) for good. I have a lot of my old art school things in there - piles and piles of drawings and sketchbooks.. and some assorted crafts. I cleaned down to the table and invited Esme in there to read books while I sorted. She saw some of my old paintings in a stack - and said they were mama stories, and that I did a good job. I unrolled a canvas I did not remember what was on it - and she said it is a girl..and looked up at me with an odd questioning look - it is mama? And yes, it was a self-portrait I had done back in 2001. Apparently I did a good job ;)

She had me paint a portrait of her - and man... I'm out of practice! It could be any little blond girl, it is not her in particular. I will need to practice and she will definitely help. If Esme had had her way, the arms would have been green and the eyes would have been pink and the face red. But she was impressed that I drew her dress green with pink spots - just like the dress she was wearing.. she thought about that and then decided that Mama did a very good job and told me so several times. She loved watching me mix colors, literally danced up a storm telling me 'the red is so pink - the blue the black the green .. it all blue! etc etc.. She dipped in and drew some circles on her own paper but was very hesitant, and then wanted me to do it for her... and I didn't. I started to fill the background on her portrait in with purple and she said 'no raining Mama, no raining on the Esme need a sun right there.' She has her ideas... I just thought it was a pretty 'Esme' type color to fill in with.. and she thought I was putting her out in the rain!

I bought a little truck and a big brush for her at the store today. We will have to paint that big box soon as a project. It should be warm this week for it. She can use my little brushes on the truck. I am thinking of moving her table and chairs down to the room so she can spend time with me down there. She hardly ever uses the table now except when I am home to spread toys out on - she is usually at her desk table with her computer or food trays. We can do more 'school' type things in there, as well, with an Esme-designated corner. She was sitting on a stepstool today and reading some old books of hers she found stashed there. I'll keep an eye out for some carpet remnant at work to throw in there to keep the floor warmer this winter. The added benefits of all this is 1.) my art supplies will not be crowding my sewing supplies upstairs and 2.) instead of that room just being a shrine to 'old art' that I can't part with but can't do much with... it will be a place for making new things as well. The downside is, I will have to make some rules she can only go in there with me or daddy, since there is not a lock on the outside. I don't want her accidently knocking a portfolio down to the floor where it could get damaged if it rains hard, or leaving a cat in there etc etc...


painting her truck
Her portrait I painted is on the wall behind her...



painting truck with mama

No comments: