Sunday, October 09, 2011

bitty black shoes and little big words

We were in the store buying shoes and another older girl was there with her mom, giving her a very hard time. Esme made the mom feel bad by asking if the little girl hated her mommy. It was said just loud enough and clear enough I couldn't deny that was exactly what she had said. *hide* She doesn't really know about being difficult when she sees others do it *ha* even though she is definitely difficult at times, herself. I told her no, she was just being an unhappy little girl. The Mom was shocked for a moment, but then told her daughter she was 'sure making a good impression', which of course, went over both girls' heads. Esme was good trying on shoes and told me the size 11 were too big, which, in that style, they were. So I put the size ten on her, and it seemed to fit her much better than the size 9 or 9.5 she had been wearing. The old shoes had actually RUBBED off the sizing, she had worn them so much. The older girl went into the other aisle. She was still complaining, and Esme said she had a dirty face - needed to go clean up. Esme had a dirty face too, and dirty pants and dress from playing outside. I pointed that out to her but she didn't want to believe it. I really wanted to hide - she was being honest in her way, but... not very nice about it. She doesn't really know how to 'be polite' yet... we haven't had much cause to have to work on saying anything but please and thank-you and excuse-me/sorry manners and other than that, she says exactly what she thinks. In our family that works - but in the general public that is not going to fly, even if she is cute! The other family left and then Esme unleashed more on me...

She said she didn't want black shoes - she wanted pretty shoes (ruby slipper type), that the pretty shoes were "shoes to be a kid". I have no idea where she got that wording, but wow, was it salient. I felt bad being the mom telling her she had to buy sensible shoes! So, I did let her try on the pink Hello Kitty shoes but she told me they did not feel good. So after that, she seemed to be happy with the black Mary Jane shoes. The ones I had intended to buy her were somewhere in between - brown with flowers, but the straps did not fall across the ankle, and in the past she has not done well with straps that were further forward.. kept falling off her feet when she ran.

No comments: