Tuesday, February 27, 2018

That little bit

I feel a bit more energy from the keto diet.  I'm not doing it to lose tons of weight - but to reduce sugar cravings and eat better in the long run.   I was beginning to rely on sugar things again as 'food' and as the weather warmed up and I wasn't spending half of my calories JUST to stay warm.. that just didn't sit right with me... I wanted to get up energy to go out and do things, but the sugar is a bad thing for that - it gives you highs and lows.

 I decided to start the keto thing again, at a 50 gram high and allow myself carbs, but not SUGAR carbs specifically.  I have a tortilla each day, a few tasty-spiced corn chips, a cracker under some peanut butter.  A piece of dried pineapple or a thumbnail size of dark chocolate are the most 'sugary' things I allow.  I can have a tablespoon of berries or a grape, without needing to go grab a handful of M&Ms or a Little Debbie cake after that.  Sugar has done that to me in the past - give it an inch and it screams for a mile - and that catches up to you if you don't kick it in the tail once in a while.

 And I have gotten the energy spike, and the thirst for real clear water again, and the 'I'd just rather not' looking at a donut instead of the 'I wish I could have two of those right now'.  I find myself craving green tea or an almond, olive, or a piece of fish, instead of thinking about a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich dripping with jelly.  So, I will keep on with this until I feel something click again.. my body usually tells me what I need to know, and I'm trying to listen to it. 

//
I knit three rows on my huge blanket I have been making for years again.... and my arm yelled at me.  Each row takes about 10-15 minutes to work through if I'm going at a normal pace.  This is why I hardly ever work on it.. but I am getting to a stopping point finally.  It is large enough to stretch out over my feet and pull up to my neck and tuck the ends under me reading a book.  That is good.  I can bind it off in a few more rows and then work for a few days to a week tying in all the ends.  It is a multi-striped blanket, with LOTS of colors.  The yarn is washable acrylic Red Heart, which I've used for all my blankets in the past years.



And I want to use some fabric and make some half-towels again, like the burp rags from when Esme was small but a bit bigger to use as dish towels and the like.  I have two fabrics that will do well as front and back.  Just have to sit down and cut the pieces all to size and sew them together and topstitch them.

read 'Uprooted' by Naomi Novik, and 'The Flaw in All Magic' by Ben Dobson.  Both were incredibly good books.  I'm on 'The Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss which has been on my wait list for a bit.  It was recc. in the same list as Uprooted.


No comments: