Wednesday, February 21, 2018

books

Yesterday Esme received a good note from her reading teacher that she has improved on reading chapter books and is really doing well in her class and assessments. 

We went to the library and we went through the non-fiction.  I showed her several sections I knew she would like - the earth/weather science and animals and machines sections mostly.  She said 'but none of these books are at my level!'... but I said that the only books in the library that were 'levelled' were the readers over in that one cabinet (for beginning readers), everything else you just look at the spine or title, pick it up and open it up to see if it is for you or not.  She took a moment to think that over.  Then she started going through books and found two she wanted to take home, both non-fiction, both about archaeology/paleobiology. 

I finished reading 'The Hundred Year Old Man who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared', by Jonas Jonasson.  It was VERY funny, and well tied together.

I'm reading 'The Wizards of Once' by Cressida Cowell (How to Train your Dragon) now.
Uprooted by Naomi Novik is next on the list

No comments: