Monday, September 09, 2013

Fish books for a five year old



These are books I made for Esme yesterday to help her work on some of her reading words.  Mark says I should clean them up a little and start a series.  original story 'We go Fishing' and 'The Fish Book', copyright Marie Lamb 2013.




After Esme saw this book she said 'I don't have a purple dress like that!'.  Ha.  She sounded out several of these 'altered' words well - like 'fixed', 'started' etc..  She had a lot of trouble with 'tangled.'

The other words she needs help with are the 'gh' words - they do not sound like they look.  I put several of those words into this book (which actually came first), and other words like 'down low', 'always', 'funny' etc.. that she has needed a second look at in the published books we have read lately.





After she had read this book for bed, Esme said she wanted to see 'us' in the book - she had been waiting for it and we weren't there.  That was when I drew the other book, using the story she told me about that she had been waiting to see.  We really did fish at the lake and get her string tangled one day, with me catching several fish while poor Daddy untangled line.  She had a wanted addition to that book, too - she wanted to s
see the three fish in the bucket, and I skipped that part, according to her.

Math concepts she could work on, 'all' / 'some' / 'a little bit'  and 'first' at the beginning / 'middle' or 'next' / 'last' / at the end.  She could work on half of something, color half of this, how much is half of four apples etc... She is very good at counting and adding.. but the language parts are worth going over more now while her classmates are all working on the numbers 1-10.. she will be much more ready for the rest of math when they catch up if I can get her started on words they might already know.

She is at school today, we have a town run.. I need to get things sorted out a bit, several projects in the fire etc.  She had a good time with her friend the other night.  And, she is about to lose another tooth on top now... three baby teeth since the beginning of the year.. oh my.

No comments: