Tuesday, September 10, 2013

bit

Esme said this morning she wanted to do the 'two ones and the two ones and what is that and on and on do those math'.... translate that?  She wanted to start doing two digit math.  We did some simple ones and I know we will need to have a lesson on how to carry over....that will take a while for her to get in her brain perhaps.. but she can add numbers without carrying over quite well. 

Last night we argued about 'go back the words'.. she was trying to ask me to go back to the beginning, or start over... It feels so odd sometimes she can come up with 'whoa' questions and thoughts and yet we can argue about the word 'soon'...or 'at the beginning', or to say 'she does' instead of 'she do.'  But at the same time I see how she is growing in every way - and know it is working out here and there and everywhere.

She told me about school, and T and J don't understand the teacher or do the things the teacher asks.  She says M and C do understand the teacher, and she does - she is like them, she is smart, she shows the teacher she can do the things and write the words.  But, she said - that T and J make it hard for her to work because they don't understand the teacher and they get her in trouble.  She gets herself in trouble, too...absolutely she does, wanting to play and not follow rules,  but I can see some of the above as well - it is hard when there are other bad examples.  I saw M and C at orientation, and they could be good examples but probably a little cliqueish and unsure of different thinkers.  Esme told me she was told at school she was 'weird' and we talked about that - that she is a thinker and some don't like that - but being a thinker is really great for science and math - things she likes.  I get the hint that maybe Esme is trying to tell me she is noticing the language difference at the same time as the work difference and maybe she understands showing how smart she is and how good she can be can help.  I hope it can.

She did some two digit math for her homework to bring into school (we send 'extra' homework because she is capable and I want the teacher to know that she is capable and what her interests are, whether they are looked at and kept or thrown out I'm not sure.. they don't always come back home, but some do with smiley faces drawn on them.)  She then drew a 10 in the corner of her worksheet and crossed it out.  She said that was for no more 10 minute timeouts, and put her hands on her hips.  She doesn't want to be in trouble.. but she can't always help it.  It is better than it was last week, although we are not getting daily updates now...

She made me this turtle in Minecraft.  He has spots.

Picture day is Thursday.  She thought it was today, and was upset I had picked out a different dress than the one she wanted.  I showed her the calendar, and she was happier about it.  I had drawn a camera on it for the day to help her remember.  She drew a camera on her paper for today to remember there would be a picture day.  Her loose tooth is not out yet, but it might be by then... we'll see.

No comments: