Sunday, August 12, 2012

A long distance view of the upcoming winter

Yesterday morning on the way to work I saw a flock of Canada Geese grouped together in a horse pasture. There were 15 to twenty of them, and according to others at work - they are migrating from the North down to the lake area on their way South. It is very early this! Mark has seen a 'woolly worm' and said it had no band at all - as if there would be no winter at all... yet the mornings are something like 55 with 80-90 highs and no rain. Very odd weather. By coincidence, this was the week I chose to start making winter hats and planning for the colder weather - ie: a thicker quilt for Esme's bed, slippers and so forth etc.. How much of a coincidence is that really, that I am preparing in my own way for winter when it is barely August? All I can do is note it on the calendar and see what my instincts meant in hindsight. It is like we have a long distance view of the upcoming winter - even from this far off...lots of my instincts are to prepare for a cold one. I had the instinct last week that we will need hay for the goat - and to plant carrots, I have not done either. I did plant a few seeds of black spanish radish, but just because I wanted to try it. We might get a break soon from this heat that has been causing us so much trouble - but do we want the cold of winter instead? Thoughts...

In Esme's room plans we have ordered a few pieces of furniture for her and done some other planning for what to put on the floor and walls. I let Esme choose the color for her chair (pink.. I would have thought purple but she was clear) and choose between several bookcases. She threw a bad fit today while we had a visitor and she took a nap, then helped me in the garden. We had a discussion about her room and about being good - and that she needed to help instead of be a brat and demand toys and throw fits etc... She has been pretty good all night - we will see if it will last.

Sunday Night: Esme read halfway through 'Ten Apples up on Top' to Mark and I - and then got tired. She was doing very well by herself. I saw her sound out the word 'more' and get confused with the words 'too' and 'but' often. A capitalized 'And' threw her off, although she got the word in lowercase type before that. She is doing really well and when her motivation is higher we read more and work on it more, other than that I send a low level book in her backpack to school and they say sometimes they offer for her to look at or read it, but usually they do some other craft. She did bring home papers with 'k' words and 'big and little' comparisons the other day and she was very proud of them. She read to me half of the 'k' words, asked a few others, and it has stayed out on her desk by her computer.

1 comment:

Ladeewolf said...

I think you're right, I have felt the need to prepare for the last few weeks. I started another heavier afghan two weeks ago, and am working on warm things. I bought some fleece not long ago and am planning on two pairs of warm house pants for each of us. More later. I also watched a flock of birds, blackbirds I think, fly southward. Winter may be very early this year and very cold. I rather dread it, I don't like the cold much.