Sunday, September 23, 2007

Childbirth seminar and Bouncing Baby

Most of the information they gave us at the class was also available at this website.

Yesterday was the childbirth seminar - it lasted from 8 am to about 3 pm, which was very long! It wiped me out. When I got home I napped for several hours then spent most of the night trying to get rid of a sinus headache.

However, I got a little better feel of what will happen from the nurses than from my doctor -- they agreed that particular OB is 'a worrywort.' It doesn't help that he is, because when it comes to things I don't know about it only adds to worries I have myself. They said their percentage of moms who need stitches after 'natural' birth is very low, while he had said (quote) "You WILL tear.'

They said most babies tend to fall asleep soon after delivery. If I plan to breastfeed it should be done as soon as possible - while the baby is still alert. They reccommended that I attempt to feed her first, then invite visitors to come in and see her afterwards, or when she is getting sleepy.

The room has a shower, which I can use up until a certain dilation - and several chairs and couches near the bed. They said as long as it seems safe for the baby I can get up and move around wherever they can make the monitor reach. My doctor had made it sound like as soon as I got into the room I'd be confined to the bed, and not be allowed to get up again until the baby was delivered. That was not a nice thing to hear! If there are good reasons not to get up it's one thing, but he made it sound like standard practice. The nurses said they rarely call the doctor into the room until a certain amount of dilation or if there is trouble with the baby, so maybe he is just giving info about what happens after he arrives?

Bouncing Baby
I've been feeling increasingly uncomfortable walking at random times, especially when there is lots of up-and-down (stairs / hill etc.) Someone on my email group said this feeling, which is like being hit with a bicycle seat on a bump just hard enough to be unpleasaant, is most likely a foot, elbow or shoulder etc... (small non-smooth part) bouncing against my cervix. This is more likely because Bazooka is in there sideways. If her head or back was facing down the pressure would be dispersed over a larger area. A small part against there makes a more 'pointy' feeling, that if you're sensitive enough, could be uncomfortable. The heavier the baby gets the worse it might feel - especially on quick or swaying movements. It makes me feel better to know it isn't a bad sign - but quite unsettling anyways!

4 comments:

stuffed said...

Interesting. My mom used to work the women's wing of a local hospital. The docs were always clueless. Glad there are seminars.

Jennifer said...

I was able to move around as much as I wanted until I reached about 8. This is different if you get an epidural, then you're pretty much confined to the bed.

mrspao said...

Glad the childbirth seminar helped you understand what you really needed to know!

Lynn said...

It doesn't matter how much information you get, there is always something nerve racking and worrisome about the first pregnancy.
You could even be a Dr. and have worries like this during the first pregnancy.
The beginning of the Braxton Hicks contractions begins this way. The Baby will stimulate the Uterus and cervix with its movements like that.
Then for a few weeks you will have contractions once in a while each day. These are pressure and a bit uncomfortable but they are cramp while the cervix softens to be able to dilate.
They are actually longer than an early uterin contraction and less frequent.
Braxton Hicks contractions can last weeks as they flatten the cervix so it can dilate.
Usually during a first pregnancy the Dr will notice the beginning of dilation on examination.
You will have quite a few days notice, normally, from this examination.
So you don't have to get super panicky.