Friday, April 27, 2018

bits

Still reveling, after seven months, in how my 'echo ear' works so well for Welsh, but hasn't worked that well for other languages.  I can still feel it when I play a sentence out loud - I don't have to read it on the screen to remember what was said, even when the sentence gets long.. the pieces are in my inner ear ready to be digested.  Probably because Welsh and English are very similar in structure.. compared to Romance languages.

My dictionary came today.  I've already looked up several words :)  I have a paper tablet that I am writing down other words in, dictionary style, that I come across in TV programs and newspaper articles and forum articles.  That way I write it, see it, and translate it there, too.  I have a Welsh tween book called 'Na, Nell!' coming soon, ..well, by the end of next month.  That will be exciting, too.

I've been ordering Esme more books - and we rearranged her bookshelf to put them there.  Mark helped me cut a new board for a new shelf on top of her clothes rack so she can keep her current book, sketchbook and other special things up near her bed at night without worrying about them falling down to the floor.

Our hosta and daylily and a few other things came today.  We are planning on taking the girls to a parade tomorrow and then planting them in the garden.

I've read The Hazel Wood, by Melisa Albert.  It was intriguing and creepy and hard to put down because of the wonder at the same time.  Very good.  Not kid material, though.  You'll be slightly afraid of Twice-Killed Katherine jumping out of the nearest alleyway or bush for a day or so after reading it... I'm also reading Esme's book 'Lone Wolf' part of the Wolves of the Beyond series from Ga'Hoole owls universe.  It's pretty good.  She'll like it, even though it gets a bit deep in a few places.  I've also ordered her the third Foxcraft book, called 'The Mage'.

No comments: