Thursday, November 17, 2011

garden is nearly done...

Live Wires by Yellowjackets. Heard a song from this on NPR and liked it. It is not often anymore I find music that I want to listen to.

It was cold outside today, in the 40s. The garden needed another look, so we had a reoccurrence of 'lawn gnomes'. I need to knit a new hat, though.. could not find last year's hat. (March 2011 lawn gnomes)






A ball that was outside and got lost in the brush, showed up again and Esme has been having fun with it again.



I caught this picture of her being 'run over' by this ball seconds later... but all you see is a ball and a foot..


When we were out in the garden the first thing she said was : 'Mama, your garden, it is all yucky.' All of the plants had finally died off in a frost. The beautiful zinnias and butterflies and green leaves of just last week were all brown and drying up. There were just a few tomatoes to be picked, a few beans that were ready to dry. And - there was sorghum. The red sorghum that was planted in July was hard and shiny - ready to be stripped and brought inside. I had to be careful not to cut my hands like last time, as I was doing it without a knife again.




I think it is gorgeous. However, it is probably going to end up bird seed in the middle of winter, what is not saved for planting again. If we had chickens, they would LOVE it. This variety is not good for syrup, but is supposed to be a good keeper for animal feed and producing very strong stalks for brooms and baskets. Future plans... learn to use it for more than just bird seed.


broom corn sorghum in a bucket


//notes//
Our dog dish was leaking yesterday and I couldn't fix it. I turned it off and wrapped a towel around it. Later, Mark found Esme playing in the water leak in the 65 degree basement kitchen... and she was soaked. He changed her and turned it off again - *sigh* She seemed pretty 'ok' last night, one cough that caught my Mama ears. Then, she kicked her blankets off in the middle of the night and I didn't catch it until 6 this morning. Now she is coughing some more. I am hoping breakfast of chicken noodle soup will help some. I don't want a sick kid :( I should have put her in a sleeper when I saw the temperatures dropping.

No comments: