Saturday, May 28, 2011

Sunbonnet, gardening and bits


Esme and Nova playing 'tug of war' with a stick on the bern



Mark working in the garden with me, helping put up a fence for the pinto beans to climb on. they were about to have a massive fight with the pumpkins.


Do you see all that squash and tomatoes growing there? We are getting some big plants, hopefully we will get fruit as well, as the season progresses.


Esme wearing the 'sunbonnet' I made for myself. It is much too big for her. She said she wants a blue one so she can have blue hat like Pocoyo ;)



from the back



from the front


I made it with bias strip tie straps to keep it in this county when the wind blows it off my head. Esme told me it looked 'same way Grandma', and she thinks I'm pretending to be Grandma when I wear it. Grandma has a brown fishing hat that is about the same color but definitely not as curly ;)

I was sunburning the top of my head and Esme absolutely wants to play outside any day it is nice. So, I made a hat. I could have bought one, but it seemed an interesting challenge. I tried one out of yellow fabric and it did not work very well...a more daunting challenge than I had thought! I studied up a bit and made this one. Next time I would not add any seam allowance to the brim.. it made it 'curly' and ruffly around the edge. It looks like a cross between clownish or mid-century... haha. The biggest thing is it fits and works for its intent. I wore it in the garden weeding this morning and I could feel the sun beating down on my shoulders but not on my head.

I did buy some blue fabric for Esme's hat... but that was before she told me that she wanted a hat like Pocoyo's. He has earflaps on his hat... yet another challenge?

No comments: