Sunday, January 04, 2009

The KnitOwl tries to cure the common cold again

Every year that time rolls around, I begin to feel that tight feeling in my chest and I try to cook up a household remedy for the common cold. Some years it's raw onions and garlic, some it is licorice tea... I usually use what is on hand in the house, each spice according to it's properties learned through old wive's tales, library books and of course, surfing the Internet.

So here is this year's remedy.

One can of chicken noodle soup
1/2 can of sliced carrots
1 tsp onion powder
several grinds of pure fresh black pepper
a pinch of ginger
some 'Italian Seasoning' oregano, basil and such
1 tsp or more of fresh garlic powder

Drain the noodles and carrots, if all you want is the broth. If you're in the mood for a good meal, adding an onion and some celery to the soup at this point will make it a meal for two.

This sounds simple, but I am thinking it will have some effect.
Onion and garlic powders are supposed to have some of the same effects as 'production' components of cough syrup. To be graphic, they grab the junk attached to your bronchial tubes and tell it to take a hike, leaving you coughing up mucus. But at least if you're coughing anyway it is 'producing' something instead of a dry cough. Usually I use fresh garlic and chicken boullion or, some years, fresh chicken. The antiviral properties of chicken and carrots is perhaps only a rumor, but it's one I'm willing to believe in.

We'll see how this pans out over the next few days.

And yes, I'm up at 3:30 AM. I have to be up at 2:30 AM tomorrow, for this week of night shifts. The other good remedy for a cold is to get plenty of sleep. That might work once I get my schedule shifted.

1 comment:

Rhiannon said...

I feel you on the cold. Maybe I should give your remedy a try.

And I feel sorry for you and your work schedule. That is EARLY! I am working my first 40 hour week this week (in about 9 years) and not looking forward to it!

Not enough time with Lowan :(