Tuesday, October 08, 2024

bits

It is starting to get cooler - and we'll probably have to light up Mark's propane heater soon.   I've been busy at my new job, and trying to get enough sleep at night in between it all - it starts so early, and then our typical family schedule runs until 7 pm or so... I am really wondering how that is going to work when winter hits, as it is already far before daylight that I have to set out for it.  It has been really good to know that all the bills for the month can get paid now - and Esme's birthday is coming up as well.

 

I'm still studying Japanese every day, and found a site for reading some manga, in multiple languages.  I read one in Portuguese the other day, and some of one in Turkish (although my Turkish is very low level, I understood some of it without going to the translator and then when I found the English version I was further impressed).  I am also sprinkling in some French and Spanish in there.  There was a driver at work that did not speak English, but I was too afraid to speak to him in what little Spanish I have.  I know that is still strange, studying all of these other languages and Spanish is the most useful, but not the one I find the easiest to grasp.  If only a driver from Houston spoke fluent Welsh ;)   

 

(Honestly, a goal of mine is to do Babbel or some lessons on italki or something at some point and get some good practice in doing actual production in conversational Spanish, but since it is one of my hardest languages to grasp, I haven't reached out to actually spending anything on it)



The manga I just finished reading was '365 days to the wedding', which was very sweet and different from the things I have usually found. The pair start out as barely work acquaintances and then claim they are getting married to avoid being sent on a bad assignment - but it turns into more, and they both break out of their shells and find out life is so much more than they were shielding themselves away from, and that together they can get through the embarrassments and constant worries and build on what they are discovering . Another one was really hard to translate the title of it - it was 'Usuzumi no Hate', which is translated from the Japanese as 'the color of the End, mission in the apocalypse' about an android girl with the memories of a real person? (they are still explaining some of that), who is trying to clean up a strange plague that has turned countless millions of humans to crystal - and is still extremely contagious and fatal to any remaining human life unless dealt with by the androids. That was the one I had started reading in Turkish before I found it in English. I finished all there is so far of Kusuriya no Hitorigoto (The Apothecary Diaries) but it is definitely not finished yet. I had to read the last chapter of that in Portuguese as it was the only langauge available.




Of course, the hurricane (Milton) is about to hit in a few days as well - hope everything is alright for the people there. I know a few that are staying, and a family that is evacuating to the east until it is over with.




Languages:  (old style Duolingo, from DuoMe)

French                 L 25     XP 52905 22905 XP beyond Level 25
Welsh                  L 25      XP 30114 114 XP beyond Level 25
Spanish               L 23       XP 25613 +387 XP to next level
Japanese             L 21     XP 17741 +1259 XP to next level


Czech                  L 19     XP 13888 +1112 XP to next level
Romanian           L 17      XP 11143 +857 XP to next level
Portuguese         L 16     XP 9632 +868 XP to next level


Italian                 L 15     XP 7952 +1048 XP to next level
Greek                 L 14     XP 7226 +274 XP to next level
German             L 14     XP 6148 +1352 XP to next level
Finnish              L 13     XP 5515 +485 XP to next level
Catalan (en espanol)      L 12 XP 4303 +597 XP to next level


Swedish            L 11     XP 3848 +52 XP to next level
Russian             L 11     XP 3818 +82 XP to next level
Spanish (from French)     L 11 XP 3190 +710 XP to next level
Norwegian        L 11     XP 3097 +803 XP to next level
Hungarian        L 10     XP 2591 +409 XP to next level


Ukrainian         L 10      XP 2288 +712 XP to next level
Irish                 L 9        XP 2174 +76 XP to next level
Turkish            L 9       XP 2074 +176 XP to next level
Chinese            L 9       XP 2055 +195 XP to next level
Polish               L 9         XP 1798 +452 XP to next level
Danish             L 4         XP 299 +1 XP to next level

and Latvian elsewhere, and Lithuanian on babadum and baltoslav

and another duolingo profile on my phone that I had made in 2017 and took back up again because it was easier to do that than have dual login from pc... //sigh  I usually stick to about two to five languages per day unless I'm feeling overly bouncy and need brain exercise

Japanese on Clozemaster, did Russian on Busuu for a bit, Japanese on LingQ for a bit, French and Spanish on Kwizik, yomuyama and a few other things in Japanese, mangadex in whatever languages it lets me, cooking blogs in Portuguese and Norwegian and Latvian, children's games sites etc etc..

No comments: