Sunday, August 21, 2016

Spinach pineapple banana greek yogurt smoothie

I'm trying to eat more of my vegetables, and I've bought a new personal blender.  So, there will be some recipes on KnitOwl lately as I get to trying things with it.  I saw a recipe for this when I was looking for what to do with my spinach.  And, I happened to have a can of pineapple open in the fridge.  BUT - I don't have any almond milk and I don't like the stuff enough to buy it just for this.

I wanted a smoothie recipe with no almond milk.  So, I looked around a bit and combined two recipes.

1 small to medium banana, cut up (some places say to freeze the chunks)
about 1/2 cup of spinach or mixed greens.
1/3 cup of greek yogurt
1/3 cup of pineapple chunks
1/3 cup of pineapple juice from the can.
1 tsp of chia seed

Directions:
Pour the pineapple juice into the blender.  Add the greek yogurt.  Blend this up together with half of the spinach or greens.  I would reccommend taking the stems off of the leaves, they tend to leave fibers in the smoothie.  Peel and de-string the banana.  Put half of this in the blender and blend.  Put the pineapple chunks in the blender and blend.  Add the second half of the mixed greens.  Add the last half of the banana.  The smoothie will be getting thick.   Add the chia seed and blend it until it is really well mixed.  Pour it up and use right away.

I saw some sites discussing the liquid or whey that forms on the top of the Greek Yogurt.  Some places say to mix it in and others say to drain it off.  I have been noticing that my yogurt does not 'keep' as well when I drain it off.  I haven't really been mixing it in, either.  I've just been grabbing the yogurt with the spoon around the well and it has stayed good for much longer than my previous large container.

The chia seed was 98 cents for a decent size package.  I thought it wouldn't hurt to buy some and try adding it.  It claims to have Omega 3 in it.  Mark said I should try a raw egg... but even though we have our own chickens I'm not sure I want to do a raw egg.

Eggs and spinach say spinach quiche to me ;)

No comments: