Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Large Harvest with little helper


Two pumpkins
the orange one will become a pie ;)



Large harvest!


We are getting ready to can the tomatoes. Mark got out the pressure canner and we are reading up what to do. I cut up a LOT of zucchini and other squashes and put them in the freezer.


helping open pinto beans



A bean!


Esme was more help than I thought in opening and shelling the beans. I had to start each one and make sure she didn't put any 'bad ones' into the good pot - but she had fun and was sad when they were all done.


A tantrum, non productive!



pinto beans


Over the past few weeks I've been eating most of the pintos and drying a few at a time. The ones already dried are in the ziploc bag. I put some more from this larger harvest into the pint jar with rice to dry. The jar gets covered with a coffee filter and a rubber band to keep air in and everything out. I shake the jar every day or so to circulate the dry rice around the beans as they dry. I have already used the rest of the beans to make soup. There is still another harvest or two in the garden!

2 comments:

ElizabethEK said...

Awesome. SO MUCH!!

said...

lUCKY YOU! am growing carrots for the first time in a small container as I have no space for more vegs...and the garden is full of flowers instead!did you receive the book, please tell me when you do. Loved Esme's drawings x