Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Little bits and an attempt at mittens with no picture

The 40-50 degree mornings have begun.  I started a pair of mittens for Esme yesterday - no picture yet, and she has been agreeable about trying them on until I got the right amount of stitches in the cuff.  I had overshot so much - started out with 44 and wound down to 30 stitches with a sport weight yarn on size 3 double pointed knitting needles.  Now I've had her trace her hand out and am working up to the point where I will include the thumb.  No picture until after that -- as I may have to rip it out again.  I had been knitting the cuff with brown yarn and she said 'I don't like brown.'  and then I showed her the pink for the striping after that - and she suddenly became very happy.  It is a pale pink, and I just didn't see the mittens being all that color and surviving.  Both yarns were in a scrap basket someone at work had passed down.

I made a pair of pants yesterday out of a midweight 'almost' denim type cloth I found at the store.  They will be a bit warmer than her standard cotton elastic waist pants.  She was upset because she wanted them to be playclothes - and I told her they were for school.  She wanted to keep her school clothes (the pink set from August 28th) so badly yesterday - she told me on the way down the road from the bus stop.  I realized after a sentence or two she meant 'keep them on the rest of the day', and told her no... much sadness.

She started asking me spelling questions yesterday instead of math questions.  She has been getting multiple number/math sheets in her bag instead of just one per day - again, I read too much, but maybe her teacher has seen that is a way to keep her occupied in a good way.  Her behavior had been much better, as well.  She said she got all the stickers yesterday and no time out.. Friday was no time out.  This morning I had to convince her she did need to go to school, even if a kid bullies her, even if it is not fun... we've signed up for this and it will be a while before we could go to homeschooling -- and that is a lot of work on her and us that HAS to be done if we do it, and she wouldn't get to see the bad kids or the good kids very often, just like before - if we did.  She thought about it for a while.. did get ready and was in half a good spirit when she left this morning.  I gave her the pink coat I found at the thrift store and that did make her happy, it was almost perfectly new.  This kid that has been bullying her has taken away little things she finds like strings and sticks, pushed her, told her that her clothes look like pajamas... Mark thinks because the school is focusing on anti-bullying so hard Esme takes the bullying even harder than she would otherwise.  There is also a slight chance that the boy 'likes' her in the way five and six year old boys do...and is bugging her because of his uncomfortableness with liking a girl.

"( unhappy note: Esme says it was the same boy who hid/took her new coat today and would not give it back.  I am glad I put her name in it.  I sent a note in her folder for tomorrow informing the teacher about Esme's side of the story and to please look for it and get back with me.  I'm a bit perturbed considering we just got it yesterday and it was such a perfect find....

We put the apple seeds from tonight's dinner in a pot in the window today.  We will see how many days/if we get anything coming up from it.

No comments: