Thursday, July 12, 2012

Clearing out and making new garden space

Spent hours out in the garden pulling up cornstalks and breaking the soil again for new plantings. I pulled out over ten rotten tomato vines that had nothing more to do and tomatoes that were long since done for weeks ago. The smell was atrocious - but it is all outside the garden in the compost areas now. Esme tried to help a bit more this time - mostly by claiming hills of dirt and sand that were 'hers' and also she chose a handful of kidney beans (of all things out of my pile that I showed her) to plant in two little rows, tuck in 'for the night' and water down. I doubt we will be in need of any fresh kidney beans but with the loving care, we will see what comes of them.

I found two types of beans out there in pods still clinging to cornstalks - I had overlooked them before. There were three pods of Jeminez, which I thought had died completely, and three more pods of Kenearly yellow eye beans hidden underneath a tomato vine and winding around a sunflower stalk. I had to be careful not to pull the cornstalks that the Tennessee Greasy Beans have a hold of - they are late and not very well positioned but going strong towards producing something.

Also planted: brown Mississippi silver crowder peas, Kenearly beans (second round), Jeminez beans from the one moldy pod I found out there, in hopes that it will grow. I planted more Mayflower beans and a few Dragons Tongue found in the same condition as the Jeminez. I planted some blue field corn in a few hills only as an experiment to see if that would help the lodging at all. It is probably too late to get anything out of it at all.

I have fence line area cleared to plant more of my Shackamaxon beans. The two (two!) times I have planted them this year from seed they have come up and died not too long after crawling up and looking like they would start to flower.


Positives this year: Bosnian beans, King of the Early Bean, Mayflower bean, Kenearly, Pinto, Florida Speckled Lima Bean, Lemon Boy Tomato, Black Krim tomato, German Queen tomato, Zephyr zucchini, Dark Green Zucchini, Strawberry Popcorn, Sunflowers (all), Zinnias (all), Red French marigolds

Mediocres: Lina Sisco bean, Jeminez, Roma tomatoes, Pumpkins (all), Peaches and Cream corn, volunteer yellow grape tomatoes, Dragon's Lingerie and Dragon's Tongue beans, Hutterite beans

Failures: Maria Amazilitei's Pole Bean (lost all), Shackamaxon, Sweet Dumpling squash, field corn trials :(

will need to rebuy seed for :King of the Early Bean, Jeminez - neither of them produced enough saveable seed to rely upon for next year.

No comments: