Wednesday, September 07, 2011

tiny germination pictures and a daffodil dress



Out in the garden taking pictures of the fall plants as they come up. Why? Because it is so cool to see tiny things 'become.'


lentils, smack dab in the middle, so very tiny



lentils



purple hull peas


I spent about an hour out in the garden and found a red tomato, lots of yellow ones, field peas and black eyed peas and beans and more. A whole new string of zinnias is drying in the garage and there were about a handful of dry Mississippi Silver cowpeas hiding from me under a leaf from a stalk of corn. The pinto beans have reached 'shelly' stage again and I am again so happy to have planted them this year.

The fall planting is : pinto beans reseeded from another plant in the garden, purple hull peas, calendula from the Kirk Estate's seed packet, radicchio and green lentils from Cherry Gal, and a few red lentils from a store packet. There are a few other 'trial' seeds on one side, a single squash seed from the Jarrahadale to see if it will germinate and a single kernel of dent corn and handful of broom corn bits, all from elsewhere in the garden during that morning. *ha* I shouldn't even write down that I did that!

Been thinking of trying a garbanzo bean to see what it is like. someone else has already done it and posted a great article. It sounds like an interesting plant and a great one for a dry season!

And I tried sewing the other night, and it was a failure. I thought I could make something larger because Esme has grown so much. But, as usual, she is not a standard 'across the board' size. I went back again last night and tried a second time.


a 'flower' girl


This is McCalls 7708 size 3, with skirt and bodice alterations. I want to call it her 'daffodil' dress. The printed fabric is from Hong Kong and is very very tiny girls watering daffodils. Also the other colors of the dress were in my stash and seemed to fall into that same vein. I finished the zipper, sleeves and tie backs this morning just before we went to the grocery store. I am glad it fit!

Esme is such an odd size... her chest and waist measurements are still a size '2-3' while her length measurements are a size 4 or 5. I have to extend all of the dress bodices and all of the pants legs. She is a strong, 'solid' three year old, just taller than they consider her age to be. And these are vintage patterns - modern patterns don't seem to fit her at ALL... she seems to fall in a size '1' for chest measurement for the modern pattern I've made for her before.

A lady at the store admired her dress and said 'she can't be three...' I told her she would be four soon. She said, 'Well.. even if she is almost four... she's such a big girl!'


hugging cats


The cuspid tooth that has been bothering me broke off at the stress point today. It is now jagged, but finally doesn't hurt there. It is not a front tooth, only visible if I grin really wide. I will likely have to get a dentist to look at it and see if they can file it down.. if they will even do that. If it didn't have the jagged edge on one side I would not have even noticed that part of it was missing. Mark said if he had lost a piece of tooth he would have definitely noticed... I told him it was just that ready to be gone. I never had braces and I have all of my wisdom teeth - which caused a lot of pressure!

No comments: