Sunday, September 04, 2011

chicken garlic spinach curry with orange pepper

I am coming down with what they are passing around at work, my throat is scratchy and keeps catching with sinus junk. We have such a beautiful tardy/sick monitoring program that most people need to come in sick to prove they are really sick, as to not be counted for a tardy AND a sick day. Basically they clock in, get told they are too sick to work, clock out 'early' and go home as a sick day, or they tough it out all day and get all the customers and coworkers sick. As I said, a beautiful system.

I got up at three a.m. and followed my instincts to make some 'medicine.' I definitely view certain foods as medicine, each having a quality that our body needs.

What ended up on my plate looked awful, but tasted good and made my nose and eyes water in a very good way.

olive oil, onions and garlic sauteed with chicken in a shallow pan
add curry powder, hot madras type
boil together then add enough water for everything to be just beyond covered (swimming)
add about 1/2 cup canned spinach and about a quarter of a large frozen orange pepper
add some black pepper, cover 3/4 of the way and let boil down some
when there is just a little liquid left add a few tablespoons of cornmeal and mix
heat for a bit longer as the cornmeal begins to make a 'sauce'
remove from heat and put on a plate

I had a cup of strong black tea with brandy and this concoction, then slept for the other four hours of the night to wake up and take a eucalyptus bath.

I have to figure out what I should bring to work today. There are some frozen strawberries in the freezer and they are coming to mind.

No comments: