Tuesday, April 05, 2011

41 month language spurt

Esme is having another noticeable language spurt - fuller sentences and descriptions again that is quantifiable from just a few months ago. 'It is morning time, sun bright mom! Look morningtime! I need new pants. My pants are wet. My shirt is all wet, too.', 'What is that word?' to something I wrote out on the fridge. 'Hi mom. Help me. What are you doing? I go see.' I get it, I find it, where is it, I got you now' to a washcloth in the water - and then 'I got you, I SQUEEZE, put water on the hand, you squeeze, good job!' Also I told her she was in a bad mood yesterday and she said no she was an Esme, a little girl. It is quite hard to explain to her what a bad mood or a grumpy pants or such is when she thinks I am telling her she IS something other than a little girl *haha*. But she did get that one - because when I yelled at her for something later in the day (tormenting a kitten) she told me 'mom you a bad mood, be better!'

She often says 'What are you doing?' and 'What happened/is happening' and 'What is the big idea?' to us. She is saying 'I did it, what did you do, look what I did' etc which she never used to say all those variations. Also she saw a squirrel that had died in the forest and was VERY upset about it. 'The squirrel he is DEAD, oh NO, gotta put him in a hole, he DEAD (boo hoo hooo),' Even hours later she was crying for the 'poor squirrel he dead it so sad, boo hoo hoo'. She was telling our dogs to run away from a piece of big machinery and that 'oh no run dogs run it make you dead you gotta run! *ahh screaming cry as if running away from something* Later she was watching a movie and the characters unearthed a skeleton (Indiana Jones) and she cried 'oh no he DEAD! What happened?' She apparently has picked up much more about that from movies lately than I thought she was paying attention to. She does not care about dead bugs though. She comes running to point them out to us saying you WASH mom, it a bug, you WASH. She was also very interested in the green tape we were putting on trees in the woods, and that it had something to do with the trees the 'monster trucks' did not 'eat'. She saw tigers in a movie the other day and has been telling the cats they are tigers, they go meow. I have understood her better when she asks for a 'straw' when before she was very hard to understand on that word. She also sometimes gets 'two' right now when noting two cats or dogs or babies in the store.. when she used to always say three, 'one, two... THREE BABIES!' for twins in the store just a month ago. This morning she counted our orange cats and said 'two cats' properly.. which did impress me.

She has also picked up a few things she should NOT say... but she thinks it is funny and she does use them 'correctly' ("WTF" for something is messed up/bad and she wants to know why and 'Oh s*t' in similar circumstances when she drops or breaks something or someone else does and she knows exactly what happened and that it is bad). She said one of those in front of people we were visiting the other day and it was funny, but awful at the same time.

MORE: Esme also will tell 'monster trucks' in the valley or the dogs 'no turn a purple' meaning do not be mad. I think she gets this from Cinderella and other cartoon movies where the screen zooms in and the background 'turns purple' around the character that is planning an evil thing. When the stepmother locks Cinderella in the tower room her eyes glow and the background gets dark purple and Esme has stood up and waggled her finger at her 'no turn a purple!' She tells the dogs sometimes 'no turn a purple' when they growl or fight. She also still uses the 'too ball' comment for things she does not want to do or thinks is a bad idea. I'm still not sure what/where it comes from but she has used it often enough to be counted as a word, now.

No comments: