Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Squirrel embroidery and trial and error raglan dress


Hand-drawn squirrel with acorn for embroidery on dress


I put two patterns together last night to design this raglan sleeve dress. However, when I got to the neckline part I realized the pattern I had referenced for the neck required a drawstring to make the right size. ARGH! Well - it was too late by then to do much except try to take up something so she wouldn't "swim" in the dress. I don't like elastic or strings around my neck - so I won't do that to Esme either. Instead, I took up the distance with separate drawstrings across the sleeves that tie at the shoulders. It looks kind of pretty, actually... It still ended up a little large in the neck, but considering it all, I'd call this trial and error dress mostly a success.

To boot, the way it looks 'large' is the same way the first white toddler shirt I made her looked large. She grew into that and it fit her well in a few months. So, I have further hope that this isn't a wasted effort. The ribbons are going to fray - but the way I made them they are easily replaceable into the 'casings' on the sleeve.

The green size 5 dress just needs the bottom hem and the sleeve hems done. I've been procrastinating on it because again - it won't look right on her until she grows a little.

Out of the bath and eating breakfast, watching her favorite show.



This picture shows what 'neck gap' there still is in the dress


It's "The Muppet Show" Mama!


Notions:
1 yard plain tan fabric 'weaver's cloth' (2.50/yd)
1 yard white muslin fabric (sleeves and inside facings) (1.25/yd)
spools of brown, yellow and red thread
spool of twill ribbon (would use grosgrain next time)
1 neck zipper about 7 inches long
pins, sewing needle for embroidery

How to alter a pattern:
Find a pattern that looks the way you want, and a pattern that is the right size for what you want. Use the measurements from the correct size to alter the widths of sleeve, bodice etc.. on the pattern that has the right details. It's always trial-and-error. Use large drawing paper, newspaper or taped together notebook pages to cut out a third 'in-between' pattern. Test all the pieces against each other and then use cheap cloth (like muslin or plain cotton or clearance cotton) to try out your new design. Always wash the cloth in hot water before you cut and sew - get all the shrinking it might do done before sewing! Once you are finished alter the paper pattern to fix any problems. If necessary - try again! The fabric for this dress cost about 5.00 to try, when many design or character fabrics can cost 5.00 per yard or more.

Other tips : Learn from your mistakes! But, making something a little too big is never as bad as making something a little too small!

//Sewing Notes//

Remade Esme's crib mattress again today while I had time off. It was a lot easier than the first time I had made one, because I already knew what materials I was going to use, what size and how to put it together. I think the first time I spent five hours and this time just about one. I used a few yards of fabric that Esme thought was pretty. I had been avoiding making clothes out of that fabric because the color is 'off' against her skin tone.

No comments: