Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Sad State of Yogurt choices

RANT AND RAMBLE
I hate the idea of giving Esme 'non-fat' yogurt, and she doesn't like 'plain natural' yogurt. There is one called 'yobaby' that is supposedly made for infants and toddlers, even made with whole milk, but she doesn't like it. All of the 'kid's' yogurts are weird flavored even though they claim not to have high fructose corn syrup and be made from 2 percent milk. The yogurt I've been buying her is 'Yo-Plus' with 1 percent milk, real sugar and 'probiotic' natural cultures. She loves the strawberry and cherry flavors. I'm worried my grocery store is going to stop carrying it because there was something new in it's place and it was moved to a center display. 'Activa' is similar in the cultures but non-fat and definitely for dieters. Just looking over all the other types of yogurts available made me really upset with the sad state of choices - 'non-fat', 'made from skim milk', 'NutraSweet' or 'Splenda' So much of the yogurt market is geared for dieters that I'm afraid if they stop carrying this one and she doesn't like the flavors available of the kid's yogurt we'll lose something she likes, that is pretty good for her compared to other things and that she loves to share with me and practice her spoonwork on.

Just had to ramble. Yogurt is a strange thing to ramble on. Those five minutes made me realize just how important of a decision it is for me. I can avoid HCFS and Nutrasweet and Splenda (and I do) in so many things but with some things, like yogurt and jelly, are becoming so much harder!

3 comments:

Rhiannon said...

I love the new reversible shirt, very cute and functional. (Great for when one side gets dirty while you are out!!!)

As far as yogurt goes, Lowan really likes it too. Generally we eat plain yogurt. But the brand I get comes in some good flavors... Mountain High. Look for it and give it a try if you haven't already. Or the other thing I like to do is add whole fruit jam or honey to plain for a sweetener. The way I like plain best is with granola and extra raisins, and Lowan always eats out of my bowl.

thursday said...

I hate that YoBaby stuff. Jude eats it, but really... it smells funky to me. And I'm weird about GOOEY stuff. Blah! Icky!! And that stuff is super gooey. Gives me the heebie jeebies.

And I'm confused why I should be giving my kid a yogurt with sugar and made from 2%, when I really thought whole milk was better. And jelly - oh, yeah. That's a tough one. Practically EVERYTHING has a ton of sugar in it. I must say, though, that *I* tend to use splenda in my coffee... so, I'm not really avoiding it for myself.

ElizabethEK said...

I am completely with you on this one. We avoid all artificial sweeteners for ourselves and for Emily. Luckily, she likes YoBaby, or else I don't know what we would do.

One note -- it took Emily a couple of tries until she liked it. Maybe try again??