Saturday, October 11, 2008

Rabbits Climb to the Moon original ink drawing

Rabbitsmoon 1
'Fantasy Woods' Rabbits climb to the Moon


This drawing should fit within an 8 x 10 mat opening. It is an original handmade drawing on sketch paper, not a print. This drawing was SOLD at the PenStrokes shop.


Rabbitsmoon detail 1


Rabbitsmoon detail 2


I spent a few hours last night with my gel and Micron pens. I drew 12 blocks for a quilted project and then started out on this drawing. It shows little rabbits climbing up the tree to sit in the moon. There is also a deer, owl, bird and dragon monster in the drawing. I call this place the 'Golden Woods' where my little mythological creatures play, and it shows up often. This drawing also has lots of the 'nonsense' gears and attachments that often appear in my drawings. I love getting back into making the textures like the ones under the deer's feet and up the tree.

Books: I'm reading 'Blindness' by Jose Saramago. It is very different than most of the things I have read. The author uses generic descriptions for all the people like 'doctors wife' and 'taxi driver.' There is a large lack of visual descriptions because everyeone is supposed to be blind, except the doctor's wife. The things she is described as seeing have more impact because she is the only one seeing them - especially the descriptions of the thief's gangrenous wound etc... There is also a dream-like feel to the book and the author's has a formal British accent which adds (for me) to the feeling I am truly looking into another world.

1 comment:

Rhiannon said...

I started that book years ago, but never got into it very far (maybe a few pages at most, I must have been too busy) and then I just recently saw it was made into a movie. Now I wish I would have finished reading the book. I'll guess I'll have to make time for it... yeah right. I do remember the text being a little odd also.

Your drawings are very nice. I love a good pen!