Saturday, January 20, 2007

From the Road and Beyond

We left Tennessee at 3 pm on Tuesday afternoon, went through Chicago, Minneapolis, Grand Rapids, MN and Fargo, ND before turning back towards a long run home to return ahead of the storm that is sweeping across the center of the nation. We made it in 2 pm today. That's almost an average of 26 mph for every hour of the trip (even the ones we weren't actually moving). We're geeks.. we calculated it ;)


Chicago Public Library


Mark showed me around his old stomping grounds in Chicago, where he lived during his high school years. He has fond memories of driving around the city and suburbs with his friends, and we cruised some of those places Wednesday during the early morning hours, before going to the museum.


The Picasso in Daley Center in Chicago
We stopped by at 7 am in the morning
and braved the cold to view this statue.


Sunrise in Chicago
on Lakeshore Drive


Wednesday afternoon we went to the Bodyworlds display at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry - the first available day. It was amazing, if to most people a little gruesome. The exhibit was done reverently and in the name of knowledge - they also had a form showing the short essay one of the body donors wrote about why he wanted his body used in this way after his death. As an artist(and a fellow human being), I gained a lot of insight into the human form and structure. We also enjoyed the displays of motors, gears and the hatching baby chicks ;)


part of a mural with dragons
in downtown Chicago


Then we were off North again - stopping at Wisconsin Dells for the night then on to Minneapolis. I was happy to see snow again, and to see the trees and land look closer and closer to the 'back home' feeling of northern Minnesota. We pointed out the differences in the plants, terrain and especially the weather. Mark had never been further North than central Wisconsin. The first time I saw a snow bank I jumped in it ;) and he laughed 'crazy northern girl.'


We met Chris of StumblingOverChaos and RheLynn
at the Caribou Coffee in Minneapolis!


A gift from Chris!
A PURPLE KnitOwl dishcloth! Also some wonderful soap and tea, thank you!



Chris took this picture of us when we met her for coffee.
Mark and RheLynn


I had made up my mind a week before I finally left Jesse - that Mark and I are really meant for each other. I can't explain how well things have just fallen into place now that we are together -- sometimes it's like we've always been here, together, complementing and fitting into each other like magic. The reason I stayed with Jesse so long - after I knew how bad it had gotten - was that he was making threats (to himself, mostly) and becoming so possessive that I wasn't sure how to get out without first going to Minnesota -- if only to get some help from my family and/or his.

We stopped by Grand Rapids, MN to visit with my parents and my cousin. Apparently Jesse is still hanging around up there - but we were too busy and not wanting to get into anything more while we were there. After the family visit - we were off to my college-days city, Fargo ND. I showed Mark the college, the places I used to drive around and we stopped into my old workplace to look around. We had a blast at the Zandbroz variety shop, the model shop and the used bookstore on Broadway.


Miss Kelba, the bluetick coonhound, came along for the ride as well. She was happy, as long as she got to howl at other dogs and roam around at wayside rests and gas stations here and there.


A remote control helicopter bought in Fargo, ND


Stack from a stop to a used bookstore
(The owner was very happy with us *heh*)


In the bookpile: Charles Sheffield, Philip K. Dick, Lester Del Rey, Larry Niven, David Drake, A.E. Van Vogt and many others... Also, an illustrated volume of Lewis Carroll and a 1980 copy of Goedel, Escher, Bach (GEB). The 'sets' are from the Great Books study series and include selections from Xenophon, Toqueville, Plato and Aristotle.

Now, even after a 2,500 mile road trip (in 4 days) Mark and I are back home in Tennessee where we plan to stay.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad the trip was a good one! and you got to meet up with Chris and she knit you that cute owl dishcloth! AND those books!

Whew. Glad you're home safe and sound.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the picture of you and Chris! Your hair has gotten so long!

Glad you had a good trip and are happy and at home!

Anonymous said...

RheLynn,

It seems you have found a match.
I am happy for you.
But please little one. Don't ever get yourself that skinny and dehydrated again! Or I will be drivin down to Tennessee with a funnel and some cheese!.....eh
What are the skinny volumes that seem to be a set in the pile of books?
Ssssooo....Is Mark gonna write something in the blog?
He still has yet to prove his true geekydom!
I have an impression that I don't have to worry about you for a while :)

I sit here every day looking over the drawings. I did get messages from them...

I will tell you the messages in email.

The Bodies exhibit was at my hotel in Vegas. We didn't go to it. I am disappointed that we missed it now.
I figured, you see one inside out man you have seen them all.
Obviously I was way off.

Jennifer said...

I'm glad you had a good trip!

Chris said...

WOW - that's just a crazy amount of mileage. I think I need a nap just thinking about it... It was fun to meet you guys!!

Kelly said...

Glad you two are home safely!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a safe trip and back home safely. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Love the dragon mural pic! What a trip you guys had - I used to love driving all over - you get to see so much that way. Exhausting though, eh? :)

Vleeptron Dude said...

hmmm i really need to focus, last week i thought u & mark were *moving* to Minneapolis. Doh. welcome home!

i love superlong superambitious road trips! i just took my "Drinking Gourd Tour 2006" back and forth and back and forth and back across the US-Canadian border, and visited several sites in Ontario that were havens and sanctuaries for runaway slaves before the Civil War -- one sign said "Last Stop on the Underground Railway." Other Drinking Gourd texts:

* "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood (who is regularly catalogued as a sci-fi writer, which is just soooooo wrong

* "Son of the Morning Star," best book I've ever read about Custer and the Little Bighorn. After LBh, Sitting Bull and his band found sanctuary for several years in Canada

* stuff about the draft, and my draft-bait brothers whom Pierre Trudeau gave sanctuary to in Canada during the Vietnam War -- they're all Canadian citizens now. (US military deserters from Iraq are now also trying to find sanctuary in Canada, without much success, but the Usual Suspects -- i.e. Quakers -- are helping them.)

Okay and now the very important news in case you didn't see it in a separate new VleeptronZ post:

RISE, DAME RHELYNN! Vleeptron Knights You for figuring out that the Wiggling Thing was SIR Tony Hoare's QuickSort!

And check out my post about VleepSort, which explains why I am NOT Sir Bob!

I'm dying to know how you got from that odd Wiggle .Gif to the correct answer! Had you read Knuth? Had you ever had to program QuickSort?

And isn't it So Cool that the Queen knighted Sir Tony for his amazing astonishing Algorithm?

So anyway, from now on, all the Sentients on Vleeptron must address you as Dame RheLynn! (Also you won some pizza.)

Obsidian Kitten said...

ooooh, illustrated Lewis Carroll!

O'Kitten is most pleased...I assume it has the Tenniel illustrations?

such a great pic of rhelynnstumblingoverchris!