Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Books

I just finished a pair, 'Museum of Sudden Disappearances (and Vanishing Ax)' by Thomas Davidson, and 'Before We Were Yours' by Linda Wingate.  The first one was funny, hilarious in places.. and it was free through a book club.  It reminded me of all my mom's 45 records I had once upon a time.  The second was about children stolen by an orphanage director and based on the mashings-together of many true stories, although the actual family in the book does not exist.  I bawled.. I knew I would.  I had it on my Kindle for about a week before I had the courage to read it.

I've got a few more lined up now, and two more added to the wait list.  The 'Bay of Sighs' second installment of a cheesy fantasy-romance (it has mermaids and werewolves and magicians) is out finally and I put that on my Kindle to follow up 'The Round House' by Louise Erdrich which is about a boy on a North Dakota Indian reservation who seeks justice for his mother after she is brutally attacked.  It won a National Book Award, and I put it in my queue this morning while looking for something.  I also have 'Everything Solid has a Shadow', by Michael Antman which has an intriguing write-up that sounds like it has mysterious multi-level meanings, which I have liked very much in books like 'The Ocean at the End of the Lane' by Neil Gaiman.

I should read some more Gaiman.  I always hear good things and yet I have not really had many come my way.  I should also read 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress'.  Mark says that one has a really emotional ending and I have somehow missed it all these years even though I've read many other Heinlein.


In other news.  Mornings are beginning even earlier.  I'm getting tired even earlier.

I finished my hat and I'm wearing it a lot.  It looks like an acorn on my head but it is warm.

I should draw some more... I have ideas, and also ideas to write.. but I need to make a spot to do it and actually do it instead of give into playing a game because that is easier.  I did my Welsh again on the tablet - most days lately I read the newsgroup postings but leave it at that.. so it was good I fired the tablet back up.  I'm off until Friday.

No comments: