Wednesday, September 03, 2014

The odd collide of first grade values

Don't know what it is about this year - but Esme is just getting hit from left and right with ideas that are so clearly nowhere close to hers... And, I know that will happen.  But, wow.  She comes home one week convinced she can't read, or cut, or write.. comes home the next happy as a lark, then she is in trouble for another and feigning headaches, then she is spitting in someone's face, now she "doesn't want to be a princess" but be a blue bird instead.. and is still in trouble, but doing fairly well on all of her subjects and homework, when she takes the time to look at things and not just blow them off as unimportant. 

The teacher is trying to accommodate with me on some of the AR work for her.. but I know that the main work is still boring to tears in some places, tough and 'why do we do this?' in others, and the social wading is just something she will have to get through on her own, in the class, at lunch, on the playground... on the bus...  I've made a deal about going to town - which she wanted to do today since I had it off -- but we are NOT going if she gets red (or worse, she reminds me) tomorrow.... she will stay home with Daddy if need be and I will take Grandma to town.  I don't want to have that happen...

*sigh*
I made her a pair of pants a few weeks ago, but did not get to the dress.
Made it today, on the same pattern as the last raglan - but only after I looked through everything else, and finding that pattern again by accident... chose to run with it.

It has ties in the back so it can be drawn to the right size.. and I hope I put the zipper in the right amount.  I had originally cut it (being that it is a 60s pattern) for the buttons as shown and forgot to adjust for the zipper facing being smaller.  So, I just bent it back and kept it all underneath. 

And looking at this dress Esme said she couldn't wear that - it would be like a princess.. and she couldn't be a princess just now.  But then, just before bed - she said she would wear it tomorrow.  We'll see...


No comments: