Tuesday, April 02, 2013

transplant bits

I transplanted the six tomatoes and some of the cabbage seedlings.  Esme helped some - she got into the mud bucket pond up to her elbows and helped me talk to the babies and 'tuck them in'.  I told her that was the sign of a true gardener - mud to the elbows (as I washed them), and she said  'Really' with awe.  She helped me carry some of the seed pots upstairs to put them in the window.  She lost interest on putting the seeds in - a cartoon was on, and she had found her Easter candy again.  I planted more tomato seeds, coleus, marigolds, sweet peas (Mammoth Melting sweet pod) and two of the Valencia peanuts we got last year - as I heard they can be started in pots.  The entire top of our storage unit here looks like a greenhouse!  I hope the cats don't get into it - as a kitten tried to upset the broccoli the other day.  Mark wouldn't mind - as broccoli isn't food, but the tomatoes he would.  There are several peppers up, pansies, poppies, broccoli, cabbage and tomatoes up.  The eggplant is a no show, so far. 

Tomatoes:
Black Plum Seed Savers Exchange (seedlings - 6 total)
possible 1 Oxheart tomato in there?
Roma tomatoes - store packet
Principe Borghese tomatoes from Azure Dandelion
Black Prince from Azure Dandelion

Pea :
Mammoth Melting Pod sweet pea

Need to buy perhaps as plants : Sweet Banana Pepper, Eggplant

We ordered three other seed packets today : Smoke Signals corn, Luffa gourds (Mark wanted to try this), and Good Mother Stallard beans.  With all of the beans I have in my collection that was not there... and the color is very interesting.

Things that have made me go hmmm this week with Esme:
1.)  When she gets a stick and some playdough and is 'the greatest inventor in the world' and invents a new robot foot that will go walking.  I turn and see the 'robot foot' and she takes it for a walk all over the desk.
2.)  When I ask her to read the words 'come play with me' and she starts out 'compare will me. huh?' and looks at me out of the corner of her eye like 'Should I have tried that?'  Yea, she's holding back just a little bit, but not trying to think adequately on other things at all....
3.) When I find my Facebook games have been all over the board when she was supposed to be playing Pet Society and I now have High Scores in games I have never heard of.  Gotta put a stop to that.. Mark agrees.
4.) When she used my enchanting table and anvil in Minecraft to produce a pickaxe of unbreaking - after her shears broke on her and I didn't have another.  I had built them but had not even used them myself yet or found out how they worked!  She then told me later she read a book that made my things all glowy so they would not break.  Uh huh. What kind of luck is that?

No comments: