Saturday, June 18, 2011

rain wind, storms and more seeds!

After a week of no rain we have had more than we need in the past few days. The wind the other night crashed down a row of our corn, so we will replace it with a fence and more pole beans to help the other corn stand up better. My Shackamaxon beans came up the other day but I haven't been able to see if the rain ruined them yet. They were planted right next to the corn that was damaged. I only planted half of the package and one or two of them elsewhere ... so it might be possible to replant them. Esme and I went to the co-op and bought some different field peas and climbing half-runner beans to put there. Then we went to the store and found some Daddy things :)

These are what we got at the co-op!

Mississippi Silver Crowder: a type of heirloom cowpea (black eyed pea is a cowpea) that climbs cornstalks and poles. I had a small package of these coming in the mail because I didn't think our co-op had them... but was pleasantly surprised so picked up a hefty package for cheap!

Pink-Eye Purple hulled peas: another type of common local cowpea! This one said 'quick pick' so I hope it will be an early one. This was the one I knew the co-op had. The 'old-timers' I worked with consider this to be THE field pea variety.

Half-runner green bean: Half-runners are bush beans that put out runners and will climb if they find anything nearby to climb up. This is a green snap bean type but was otherwise unidentified by the co-op bulk packaging. I'm hoping for the best!

Kentucky wonder pole beans: a normal variety from the garden section at our local store. This will climb the fence as well!

NOTES: The Kentucky wonder pole beans are brown seeded and the half-runner beans from the co-op are smaller and white seeded. For some reason I gravitate towards the brown and colored beans much more than the white.... I am not sure what the difference is, it is just instinct. I planted 3/4 row of the Kentucky and then 1/4 row of the co-op variety. Along the entire back of that fence I planted the Mississippi crowder. I think I'll put the purple hull elsewhere, have to think on it a bit.. maybe in the back of the corn.

These are coming in the mail, soon...

Mayflower pole beans: They are red and white speckled and are good fresh or dried. They are an heirloom variety as well.

Heirloom Mountaineer half-runner: a green snap bean variety that climbs and can be used dry but is better fresh.

Joe Pye Weed: These are a butterfly attracting tall 'weed' that resembles amaranth. I plan to put this out in the open spaces beside our road. A neighbor on the way to town has some growing wild and last year there were butterflies all over it!

Also, peppermint, dill, oregano and more 'milo' sorghum seeds coming in the mail. Finding peppermint seeds or plants was so hard this year. It seemed no one was offering it locally. Getting peppermint seed was the main reason I ordered from the one company, which had a five pack minimum for free shipping.

The dill seed had a tiny hole in the bag... so I might have planted it in a few places I hadn't been meaning to!

interesting link: Becoming Minimalist.
heirloom beans transcript from a radio show: Off the Grid News : Beans the Magical Fruit transcribed They mention several varieties, Good Mother Stallard, Snowcap and Black Valentine which I have been thinking about... but they are all bush beans and would require some space planned out for them. Also, do not want to plant too many different varieties of heirlooms... as cross-pollination will occur with the bees. Staggering saved seeds over a few years would be the best way to do it.

No comments: