Saturday, May 03, 2008

*sigh*

I wish I knew what to do about my Mom. Every couple of weeks she calls me in a very different mood than usual. She says she's 'upset with me'. I ask 'Why? What did I do?' And she starts talking about things that happened months ago, things we already have talked about many many times. We keep having the exact same conversations - but she doesn't remember we ever talked about it before. She doesn't remember coming to the same conclusions, and the same explanations. Like she just forgot, or never wanted to hear it so she just pretended to listen the first time. And then a couple of days after that she'll call again and not remember being mad at me at all... it is really confusing and it is starting to wear on me even more the past few months. Mark has noticed that too - before I wouldn't dwell on it or talk much about it, but lately I'm seeking some sort of answer or solution to it, so it bothers me more.

Most of these things are areas I didn't do what she would naturally expect - like when Esme was born and I told her I wanted to just have Mark and I in the hospital room. We've argued this over maybe thirty times since then. 'Why didn't you want me there, I'm your mom!' It could be a script by now....word for word... and she always 'understands' but then 'forgets.' She says it is just because she is overtired when she calls those times... I worry it is more. The more often she does it, the more I worry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart. Does her doctor know? Sometimes it's a medical condition that can be treated. Just remember that you're okay and love your little family. I don't say much but I'm always here, wishing you the best. Lynne in Memphis

RheLynn said...

Lynne - thank you for your heartfelt advice. I haven't talked to her doctor but I've talked to my mom a couple of times about 'maybe you're having memory problems.' She denies that, says her doctor checked her for that and she's just tired, or sad...

I'm not the only one she does it to. My SIL has started calling my mom 'on the carpet' about this as well, instead of just ignoring it like we all have before.

Anonymous said...

If it's not just you, either your mother is pretty passive aggressive or she might be showing signs of early Alzheimer's. But she might just be hurt and unforgiving and you can "explain" it until the cows come home and it won't help. Wait until Esme thinks you're in the way. (BTW, who'll be in the birth room with me was Mike's and my biggest fights - yes, we had NO children. And? lol)