Sunday, February 26, 2006

Lazy kitties, lazy me?




The girls are being lazy today, in true cat fashion. I've got laundry, and cooking, and sewing to do (and knitting... how does that keep getting left out?) I feel much lazier today though, than yesterday. All of that running around with the camera, and bunny-sewing and pizza-making.

I've started in on another 'new-old' book, Main Street, by Sinclair Lewis. The link is to the net-version, but I am reading a hardcover copy. I'm in chapter 5 so far. Old books just have a wonderful feel, like a forgotten dialect -- strange spellings, misnomers, scientific inaccuracies -- all of it adds to the charm. Plus, there is the added experience of it being a path once heavily trodden, and now barely visited... especially in the 1850-1930 copyright range. At least, those are my thoughts on it ;o)

J is kicking my *** with the hiragana learning. He even wrote it all out on a napkin at a restaurant just to prove it. :oP Here he goes again this morning, you can see some of the characters in this photo. (click to enlarge)




Links: I was over at The Bloomin Basket and there are some beautiful turned lathe items, and wooden knitting needles! And she knits ;o) What talents!

Oh GROWL! I missed Prarie Home Companion this weekend :o( :o( :o( I'll have to download it whenever it becomes available.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Wow, missed PHC? You ARE busy!!

And of course, Sinclair Lewis has the MN connection. :)

Chris said...

Hey, have you heard of Illustration Friday? It might be a fun thing to keep drawing in the corner of your mind and give you new topics you might otherwise not try. The ABC-Along is doing that for me - making me look at things differently than I would otherwise.

RheLynn said...

Thanks for the link! I'll have to try it during some downtime at the office. I have a doll on my table (that was supposed to be a lamb, but is so far from it you'd never tell)

About the book, yes I looked at the first four pages and said - Minnesota at the turn of the century? Let me at it! And as usual with 'famous' books I've not yet read, I haven't spoiled it by going and looking up all the particulars yet...

Chris said...

You're very welcome!

I haven't read any Sinclair Lewis... :) My reading of classics is shockingly lax!

RheLynn said...

Wow, I wouldn't have thunk it ;o) You seem so knowledgeable about recent books!

I'll let you know if this is good -- so far it is a 'quick read', due to the type of language and dialogue. He uses a lot of 'interesting' and often humorous adjectives. There are four more by him on the library shelf. (all 50-70 years old, very cool)