Tuesday, September 13, 2011

soup and bits and pieces of thought


split pea, field pea and tomato soup


Mama soup:
1 red ripe tomato
5-6 yellow cherry tomatoes
small bit of onion (I try to keep one cut and froze for uses like this)
a cup of field peas, assorted varieties, shelled and washed
onion powder, celery seed, dried garden basil, black pepper
handful of dried green split peas
set to a boil then about an hour on the stove at a low setting
half as much as this again was put back in the fridge for later.

Esme had bread, applesauce and milk, as is her usual, and Mark is planning to put together a homemade pizza later this afternoon, or sloppy joes on French Bread.


Take a picture now Mama,
let me see, let me see the picture!



Trying to smile big...too big look at those teeth!


I think we're raising a camera ham. Oh well.

Random patter:
overheard at the store: 'I don't know what people are doing with their money when and if they get it - they aren't spending it. Nobody seems to be buying anything. (second person) I know what my daddy is doing with it - hoarding it, papering his bathroom walls with it, or something. It's like he feels he is back in the Depression. (another person): I might just as well be putting it in a bonfire, for all the good it is doing me lately. (Me:) I'm putting ours into a four year old girl and some dogs and cats. (other person:) At least that will give some return ;)

It seems nobody has much confidence about the economy. We are trying to see where we can cut costs as well, hoping things will get better soon but not expecting them to, either. My decisions on things like learning to grow our own grain, think about preparing for chickens, use or preserve all the produce we are getting from the garden, be 'self-sufficient' in small but increasing ways... that shows we're getting ready to know how to get by with less money and more know-how. I don't know if it will help much, but we can try. We were out at the flea market this morning and saw increasing desparation among the vendors - barking to the crowd : 'give me ten dollars for anything I've got.. then I'll be even and I can go home.' etc... It costs 4 to 10 dollars to get in to sell, depending on what class of things you are selling and where you want to set up.

Went to the co-op and asked about the grain prices. They don't have any of the 'hull less' varieties of oats. Didn't expect them to, but did want to check with them first, as they are our local source. I guess I'll be ordering a small packet online from either Bountiful Gardens or Johnny's selected seeds. The co-op did have a decent price on regular hulled winter oats - but that would not do for anything but feeding real 'livestock'... cows, goats, horses ... which we do not have yet.

Today I am inspired by these links:
The Fabled Needle
Bloesem Kids, a design blog
Sunshine Yellow, a quilting blog

No comments: