Thursday, September 23, 2010

Unconventional and Productive


That's us. We're unconventional. And productive. We get a lot done around here - but our house does not look like Architectural digest or even Ladies Home Journal. We have no couch for people.. if that gives you an idea. We have desk chairs and very busy desks. Esme has a table and easel with all of her things spread out - and a 'pretend' adding machine, sticks and playdough at the edge of my sewing station. This has been one of her favorite things to do lately - run old buttons through her hands and pick out the pretty ones. Here she is giving a shot at sifting through them with her toes.

I see more every day just how unconventional we are - leaning towards the old-fashioned, but with our own new streaks thrown in. We have a nuclear family, with a stay at home parent - although it is Mark and not me. Mark cooks and does it better than I ever have. He does the dishes and I do the laundry. I make all of Esme's clothes - because I find it easier that way, and others seem to not even fathom the idea how that could be easier than off the rack clothes. It's because I don't consider sitting down at the sewing machine a chore - it is an adventure and a highlight of my day. Dragging a toddler crying through a JCPenney would be a chore for me! I get a lot of comments from coworkers of 'Don't you ever sit still?' or 'Do you do this because you're just too bored at home?' No. If I was bored I would be doing nothing. I'm doing this because it is fun and keeps my brain and hands active. I like that. Why is that so different? It definitely seems to be.

We also put much different value on things than others. We don't spend a lot of money on material things like shoes, jewelry, purses, car stuff, our own clothing etc... and most people around us do. We do spend more money on movies and books, on days out (mostly fried chicken visits) and every once in a while I splurge on craft supplies. Some of my favorite things are blankets, dishes to hold things and old books. I can salivate over a 1950s French textbook like some would over diamonds. They're cheaper, too.. and to me much more rare. Find me a 1920s phsyics book in decent condition and I'll make a dive for it, even if many of the theories in it have changed over time *haha* I find noticing the changes even more fun! Mark is similar but over different things. We consider a medical school skeleton and a dodecahedron to be adequate decorations for our living room. That might give you a hint towards our extreme geekiness.

I've been noticing at work just how many people are trying to 'look' rich in this poor economy. They are spending money they don't have on things like the aforementioned just to look richer than they are - and getting further and further into debt for it. I know a lady who spent 130.00 on two purses. Just two, because they were 'name brand.' And yet they scoff at the idea of improving insulation in a house or upkeeping a vehicle etc... that isn't worth spending money on, but the other is? I don't get it. It all comes down to what and where they place the idea of worth. All of this as I am going through another 'what is necessary? what is good? what should I spend time doing?' phase. I want to be productive, even more productive - on things that will be practical and useful... but it seems the rest of the world isn't quite in the same groove. And in thinking this way we are probably the most unconventional of all...

No comments: