Sunday, August 29, 2010

a few bits and christmas in august (just kidding)

Woke up with sore throats today, sneezing everywhere .. guessing it is the pollen count or the burning they were doing on the highway etc. Hope it doesn't turn bad on me. Esme seems okay, a little snorking, but she is being her usual self. We went for grocery store (oj, coffee, necessities around here) and got some fried chicken. Esme really enjoyed going to town and was charmingly happy about all of it. We were looking at dinosaur skeletons on the Internet and she tells me they are 'dragon bones'. When she sees them all jumbled up or separated they are 'broke dragon bones.' Dragon bones still go 'rar'... and she likes their feet. She has been getting in a lot of trouble today because she is chasing the cat into a corner and then sitting over there by the stairs. That's hard to explain, but there is nothing to do in that corner but pull things down off the bookcase and/or trap the poor cat, so we are telling her to get out of there and go do something else. Mama doesn't feel really good, but I'm still trying to play with her nicely :) She is burying her cow in memory cards and having the piggy toy go 'oink oink where are you cow?'

I was looking for some more things to sew for her. I might get in the mood again sometime soon. The sewing machine is acting half-right, enough that the pants weren't too hard to make lately. Maybe my thread bobbins were warped -- Mark and I looked in awed horror at two the other day where one was noticeably misshapen compared to the other. I think it came from the factory that way. That could definitely mess up the machine. Going to up that elastic size to 16.5 inches because the pants did leave a slight mark on her skin overnight. It seems to be a trial and error thing.

Have accomplished a bit of birthday/christmas shopping even though we aren't really big on that around here. It has been a large topic of discussion on the parenting board I visit -- and I guess I gave in a little and started thinking about what I would like to give her this year. The set of wooden blocks coming is for one of those, and a set of 'parquetry' blocks and cards for making designs is another one. Both of those were won off of Ebay for not much. The hardest part of all that is waiting to give them to her.... can I succeed at that? We'll see.

I've got a few other things in my own mind - not going to put them here right now. I'm amazed at how often things I've seen before and thought 'she is way too young for that' come up later and I think 'I really should have gotten that and saved it!' But I didn't on some of it.. I did do that with the rollerskates grabbing them for three bucks at a rummage sale back when she was a year old - and now she loves them. All of the plastic animals we bought her last year are still part of the 'daily lexicon' - getting into discussions with other animals and climbing block towers and swimming in cereal milk some days etc.etc... I've definitely got my eye out for a few animals she talks about a lot but we don't have one of, or don't have two of. She has this thing with needing two of any plastic animal sometimes.. so they can fight or talk. 'Hi I'm a cow. I'm a cow too! WOW, we're two cows.' etc..' She even has her fabric snake and her wooden snake talk to each other like that.. and the two dragons, and the piggy figures etc etc...

No comments: