Friday, August 02, 2024

bits of truck gone bad

Had a hard time getting home last night from the farmer's market - and heard there was a rash of bad gas from Paris earlier in the week - wondering if that was the issue or something deeper, truck started acting up suddenly just as we were getting to the market, and then started really hard at the market and was sputtering in low gear really hard just to get it keep going and was afraid it was going to die on the way home - and then we were almost home but it was losing power steering going around two corners (scary) and at that point I just had to put it on the side of the road and get a message to Mark through our online server to come get us as the tow truck was going to be a long time coming Esme kept her head throughout, which I thanked her for, even though it was a scary thing, especially when we were facing that curve with no power steering and I was just cranking hard on it to get us around the corner with people coming and people behind us.

I made a quick dinner when we got home, drank a whole lot of fluids, decompressed for a little and then crashed. Mark said I did good under pressure, and I know I did (since I didn't go off the road and got us ALMOST all the way home through sputterings at every stop sign... We could have walked from the last point in an absolute emergency ie etc.. before finally saying okay, this is as far as we're going to get). So I know it was as good as it could have been, but still. I'd really like a little car that had seatbelts (mailtruck lacks that last bit) that wasn't in the shop all of the time.

 


 

Note for self: I was also stung, or half-stung by a wasp that got caught under my knee at the farmer's market. I've never been stung in my life so far - and this one wouldn't have stung if it hadn't been caught in just the wrong way under my knee while sitting on the truck bed. It was just a string of unlikely events sort of day... my dad was allergic, Esme isn't so far (she has been stung a few times) and I just had never found out. The area got hot and pink but didn't swell too much, then was down by the time the three hours had went by. 

I work the weekend, and school starts after the weekend.  I'm not looking forward to going out to get groceries today but will need to.

 Afternoon :

went to town in the mail truck, got groceries, got home

made oatmeal cookies that were a bit more like pancakes, but tasty - I'll eat them, and that is what counts (of course, the dogs are fans of snacks, too)

called the mechanic and they have the vehicle - they've gotten it to start without issue (we couldn't start it at all after it died yesterday) but it's running really rough. The gas tank had been above a quarter when I left yesterday, and the mechanic says now after all that trouble it is at empty - which does support along with the symptoms perhaps part of what was in there being water or condensation. I asked him to give it a very good look over because I was scared by what it did with the power steering. I told them about the water in the gas reported in the town I had gotten gas in. Mark told me that just running the tank half empty like I normally do can cause condensation in it, as well - and I should be running it mostly full all the time. In this economy, and with two cars which we run both of them, I told him that is so hard. And he said to make to an investment of a full tank on it and then fill it like I'm doing when it reaches half. It's a beautiful idea I told him, bit sarcasm, but I'll try to work towards it. So many other things keep needing to be paid all the time. But he said that method would make sure that water either in the gas itself or by condensation, doesn't have a chance to be that much of a problem. Still, economically, it is very hard to stop every few days and keep it full when bread needs to be bought and milk and so forth etc. and it's already been hard days that I just want to get home. 

 Night:

Gave Charlotte dog a bath, she needed one as bad as Sweetie but she didn't want one!  She told me I got soap in her nose, but was happier later.  

Harvested two shishito peppers from that plant I bought a few weeks ago - they are supposed to be randomly hot or mild, per pepper. I cut these two up and put them in the freezer and my fingers stung for a while afterward, not as bad as that last time with the farmer's market peppers, but still for a while. So, I'm glad I put them in a different container, and can balance what I put them in.

Put onions, peppers, fresh zucchini we got at the market yesterday, porkchop spice and two small cooked porkchops cut up in a pan and then added an egg - and served beside mashed potatoes with butter.

Did French and Japanese, and played the Stardew valley game in French again for a few hours. Finished up two washcloths, laundry, dishes. We watched a 2013 movie called 'Coherence' that was about quantum theory/ parallel dimensions - it reminded me so much of Sliding Doors in the beginning and then halfway through they actually mention that 1998 movie! 

Try to get some sleep for work tomorrow... I have been getting up in the middle of the night and not going back to sleep well.. so we'll see how it works out tonight. 

No comments: