Tuesday, August 06, 2024

Neurodivergent Cooking (at Patreon, link)

I started another thing today - and well, because I'm ADHD I start a lot of things but I'm not always very consistent.  BUT - this is about ADHD, and not being consistent, but learning skills and tips and going forward anyway, to make good healthy food, and to make it everyday.

Neurodivergent Cooking : Rhelynn at Patreon

I will be collecting certain articles and recipes, with lots of pictures and tips for making it 'click', to this site.  This does not aim to be America's Test Kitchen or Martha Stewart - but closer to the: oh right, I'm the buyer, cook and the cleanup crew, and I've got to keep this up, sort of thing. 

I aim to tackle 

    the 'Where Ingredients go to Die' problem, 

    the Make Ahead, I barely have time to Exist problem, 

    Oh Look, a Squirrel issue (not solve, but manage)

    Multitasking is our Friend and Superpower

    and the I'd Rather be Sleeping type issues... 

because really, being neurodivergent or low-energy of any kind brings with it certain issues most other people don't even think about.

 

1.) We love to experiment, but hate to follow instructions

    --wait, so you're going to give instructions for people who don't like instructions?  They're more like guidelines, really.  And most times you don't even need them.. but when you're in a slump or doing the same bad habits (frozen pizza I'm looking at you) it can be nice to have some 'look over there' inspiration.  

    -- we tend to skip over or avoid a lot of things, and miss key information

    -- we're not good at keeping our recipes or even looking them up again

           -- and keep a notebook isn't going to help, where's my notebook?

            -- out of sight often means out of mind, keep things visible! 

            -- I haven't even put hands on that in weeks, where is it?

            -- Ew, I found it.  How long was that in the cupboard? 

    -- be your own best friend - good habits and good results make good memories

            -- making something well means we're more likely to keep it up 

            -- make something often, with variations

           -- learn to grow into your tastes and skills

           -- learn to reflect and say : HEY, that was a good idea 

ALSO : mental exercises are just as important as physical ones for making routines.  Take time in the moment to reflect.  Remind yourself : I'm learning this.   Or:  I've done this before.  I'm doing this.  This is getting done.  And : I've done this, that needed to be done.   It's much more important than you might think.

         

2.) We get excited about things, buy gadgets and ingredients, and then when it comes to the actual doing, wander off and/or eat junk food

We'd mostly rather be eating real food, but Time is a fractured multiverse of other things we'd rather be doing.  Sometimes we forget to eat at all!  Or we inhale the potato chips and leave the fruit we bought on the counter.  Do I really need to eat?  Can I put it off?  Where did the last four hours go? 

    -- I think recipes need to be a little better engineered to 

    ----- contain relatable and sustainable ingredients and substitutes

    ---- understand that purchasing the food is also an important step

    ---- encourage good sustainable habits for prep and cleanup

    ---- understand that we want to start and finish in a reasonable time

    --- have some things we can make ahead when we do have time, but otherwise would fall into the 'I have nothing useful to do' trap and scroll, watch tv or bounce off the walls.   

    --- bring a book, computer app or project with you if you absolutely must bounce, bounce usefully, and in clear view of what you are 'actually doing'  Out of Sight out of Mind is a thing.  Keep things visible.

    ---- use a stable, easy to keep pantry instead of 'Where do I even get that?'

    ---- learn a basic set of skills that we don't have to look up every single time

    ---- adapt, use things multiple ways, learn to size recipes for your needs

    ----- not have so much of the 'wait 10 minutes' and 'in a separate bowl...'

    ---- but also understand how multitasking is our superpower

    ----- not have three paragraphs of history that distract from actually cooking


 


Buy the Food
Prep the Food
 
Know what you have (and where it is)
Know what is possible with it
Understand the basic qualities of ingredients
Know the basic skills about how to do it
Actually form good habits to use it
 
Chop, Cook, Eat, Clean
Repeat
 
Pat yourself on the back you made food
Learn more when you're excited
Have goto easy but healthy recipes for when you're tired
 
 Learn to use time when you have it
to help out when you don't
 
and think ahead - be your own best friend
know and observe your own habits
connect your past self and your future self 
to adapt to how things work for you
 
Encouragements: 

I Made That!  That was good.  
I should make that again.
I bought that and USED it.  
That had so many good ingredients in it.
I bought that from the local farmer and it was tasty. 
I will buy this food over the other because there are four ways I can use it.

Yes, talk to yourself, you're listening:

That was easy.
That was easier than last time.
I learned how to make that easier for me. 
I'm reminding myself right now how much easier this is now.
Next time : I will think, hey, let's do that, it was easy! 

Use the Now while you have it

I have five minutes while the coffee runs - that is enough to make a salad.
I have twenty minutes while the washing machine runs, that is enough to make rice.
I can make these two recipes in tandem during the same time and enjoy a really good dinner.
 
ADHD hacks:
I will buy that ingredient when I'm off work because:
 I left a bungee cord across my steering wheel
I can set that to simmering while I'm in the shower and remember it:
because I left my shoes right there 
I'm awake at four o'clock in the morning :
Why don't I prep the rice for fried rice tomorrow? 
 
PURCHASING takes time and effort, too, not to mention $. 
This is me investing time and the three dollars in the me that wants this later.
 
I'm standing at the grocery store - this has taken so LONG
I finally got all the things on this LIST
I want to just go HOME... let's skip the 'X',....
but if I buy the lettuce now,
I'll have it for that five minute salad.
I liked that five minute salad, and so did (other person).
So I'm taking two minutes now to go get the lettuce. 
and Future Me will thank this past me for doing this
by using the lettuce that this me is taking the time to buy.
(the road goes both ways)
 
I have some time and energy : what can I do to help Future Me?
I'm so glad I did that yesterday when I had time.
I'm so glad I did that while I had the energy.
I'm glad I did that between switching the laundry.
I'm so glad I've been growing that in the garden / on the porch.
I took all this time to grow and care for this - now I'm using it.

I remembered that without having to look it up!
I know this doesn't take as long as it feels like sometimes
Having to look everything up every time actually took more time than cooking it!
I cooked and cleaned up and it's all ready again for tomorrow. 
I didn't have to look all over for that pot, or it's lid before I started.
I'm not hung up on using that specific thing because I know lots of ways to do this.

Cooking is a 'chore' but you can work to dread it less.
I can look forward to making that dish tonight,
because I know all the things are there
Isn't it nice everything is all ready to go?



No comments: