Thursday, July 26, 2012

Corn oddities and more


a panicle of broomcorn sorghum with yellow seeds forming


This is not the oddity - this is the broomcorn replanted from last year. I am hoping it is going to be the russet brown kind - I planted that and also some of the red.


a bug in the garden - dragonfly - that was begging to have a picture taken



Esme and Loula
She wanted a picture taken of her after she had been playing in the dirt



This is a very strange sight - the red strawberry popcorn where the upper cob was damaged and did not produce anything. Right at the spot where the stalk did not entirely die during the drought, it is sprouting a new ear with silks. It looks so odd - we will see what comes of it.


pink popcorn
I think..


This is one of the ears that is growing still and I don't want to disturb it until it turns brown. I am hoping it is the pink variety!

garden notes:
The eggplant is making new eggplants!
Mayflower beans keep drooping without anything to shade them.
The German Queen tomato has something trying to eat it - I dusted it.
The new field corn sprouts are coming up, the last set is about 4-5 inches tall.
Jeminez and Dragons Lingerie beans are coming up from the pods that were replanted.
Lima beans are podding and flowering.
Tennessee Greasy bean is flowering - but do not see pods yet.
Pink popcorn is still trying to do something.
The blue field corn stalks still have green halfway up some of them, I am adding more water to see what they will do. There is a bean survivor growing there, too.. I am anxious to see if it survives further and what it will be.
I cleared out all the zucchini lost to squash bugs and planted marigolds there.
The okra has grown a foot since I found it and began to water it.
The mint is flowering and so is the basil - the bees love them.
The very last watermelon seed that was in the packet has grown and is looking healthy.
Esme's kidney bean plants are looking fairly vigorous.
Banana peppers and yellow amish pear tomatoes are coming in still...


Other notes:
I should try to plant some amaranth next year - learn more about it.

No comments: