Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Vacated and Squint's late-night emergency

Remember Craftylilly's Knitflix sign-ups for Yarn and a Movie swapping! She needs a few more sign-ups, or at least an even number!


Some knitting did occur.

I taught my niece (Mr.J's niece) to bind off her knitting, and a few more stitches. I didn't even know she could knit :o) She said I knit 'upside-down'... hmm...anyway what works, works.. right? She was able to translate the idea to her kind of knitting :o)

Click here for
My Minnesota Wilderness pictures
I think the Prairie River Dam is one of the most beautiful places on Earth.


Willow is thoroughly 'vacated.' ;o)

Sally has to rest up after all the noisy meowing

Squint
For travel, Squint received an 'E' for effort, as he had to stay in a box most of the time we were moving. I couldn't really blame him for what whining and messmaking he did, because if I were trapped in an 8" by 14" cat carrier for most of 18 hours, well.. I'd be cranky too. He did impress everyone who met him in Minnesota though, with his sweet disposition and plucky attitude.

HORROR


The worst part of it was that on Sunday night, after we arrived, Squint had an emergency. We had put him in the bathroom for only a few minutes, to unload our luggage, and then I heard a tiny kitten yowl from behind the door. *FREAK* He had ripped off his scab, and a bit more of his bad ear in the process. He was bleeding, and Mr.J luckily was able to attend to him while I froze up and hyperventilated. It looked worse than it was - but I was certain we were going to lose him right there. I'm not good with other people's/creature's blood.. I'd never have made a good nurse or vet!

By the next day he had clotted up and seemed livley and ferocious as usual. We put an oil funnel from a local gas station around his neck for a 'cone', to keep him from scratching his ear. I took him to the vet on Wednesday for a check-up and to clean out what was left of his poor ear as he had been crawling around under the beds in the house. He is almost completely recovered again and giving both of our girls good reasons to smack him once in a while (biting at back of legs etc).

The vet ladies at North Country vet clinic in Grand Rapids, MN did a wonderful job with him. He was sweet and sat still for them while they examined and treated his ear. They were amazed at his survival and said his ear was healing 'as best as could be expected' for all he had been through. They said he was remarkably active, well-fed and that the antibiotic and salve treatements we've been giving him were right on the money.

9 comments:

Crazy For Yarn In Alabama said...

Poor Squint....and you!!! I have worked in the medical field all my life, start I.V.'s you name it...but I can't hold my pets when they need a shot and can't take care of anything bleeding so don't feel so bad!! LOL!!! Oh how I wish I could take Squint as my own....he is such a sweet kitty!!

Chris said...

Poor Squint! Poor you!! I know how freaked out I get when Chaos cuts himself (which he manages to do pretty regularly, scratching his chin on things), and there isn't even much blood.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Squint is okay. Poor baby. (That's for both of you!)

Your sock is great! I love it!

The Bashams said...

Wow - sounds like travelling with kittens is about like travelling with a 3 year old! glad you made it home safely. Love the new socks. Such a great color combo!

Carrie K said...

Those pictures are awesome RheLynn!

You know, I could have sworn I replied to this post first yesterday. Poor Squint! Poor you! And good thing Mr J is good in a bloody crisis.

teabird said...

What beautiful socks - and poor, poor little Squint! Please give him a good petting for me --

Ladeewolf said...

Welcome back!! I am glad that Little Squint is better-and glad you didn't loose Sally last year. The same thing happened to my Little Grey in a rest stop in North Carolina at 3:oo in the morning. She slipped her harness and took off in the dark. Scared me to death. She wouldn't come to me when I called so I sat down almost in tears and she finally came to me. She was so scared of being outside that she panicked. I think loosing a pet on vacation is one of the most scary things there is. Other than loosing a child that is.

stuffed said...

So glad that everyone is safe, rested and back at home. Poor little Squint.

I can't even imagine what upsides down knitting is! LOL Kids are funny.

Anonymous said...

So glad little Squint is okay! I refer to him as my "Cyber kitten" you know!