Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pre-Thanksgiving Rites of Passage

ie: the braving of the supermarket the day before a major holiday.... We had to go to the store today to get an apple pie, and a few other things to bring to Grandma's house for Thanksgiving tomorrow. It was a madhouse - more people than ever, and we skipped a few things because of the crowd. We were early in the crowd, though - if we had went after five it would have been much worse.

I want to apologize and say thank you to the lady who recognized us from the blog in the bakery section. It must have been Esme's shirt - the same one in a recent photo. I was too speechless to say much - can't even remember what I really did say. Thanks for reading, I hope you like it. Mark said: 'You're famous!'. *yeep* I knew I was prolific, but it's odd to be recognized because we're just 'regular folks' who have a blog, and post a lot :)

Also, this is the second time during the afternoon rushes the lady at the fabric table has walked away as soon as I made my choice to be cut. I know it's lunchtime - but I think it is deliberate. Mark said this was definitely 'oh no she picked something - have to escape!' attitude. He was watching from across the aisle. I wish there was more choice of places to buy fabric near here -- but there isn't, unless you want to make a day of it and take a trip to a nearby city just for fabric. Esme had asked me to make her a pink sitting chair like one on display. I didn't get worked up and make someone else come over - just left and did our groceries. I probably have enough of something (or two or three somethings) to try out a pattern for her for Christmas.

She also got a different purple nail polish. If she doesn't ask for it soon I'll keep it as a Christmas bit. She proved to me today she could count to twelve. She counted the pop dispenser tabs at a fast food last week (up to nine) and demanded to count them at a different place today. I didn't think she would make it past ten... and was impressed personally when she did. Yay Esme :) She likes to keep this kind of knowledge to herself until the opportunity arises to share it.

I was putting away her 'baby toys' this morning in the high place in the closet and she knew what I was doing. She pulled out several things she didn't want to leave - some doll bottles and a few plastic screws. The rest of it she didn't mind. I'm trying to pare down the array of 'stuff' that gets scattered around the house. She doesn't have a huge amount of toys like some kids, but what she does she scatters far and wide!

She's watching 'The Fox and the Hound' now, and enjoying it. Ninja cat is sleeping next to her begging for attention. Ninja has been needy and nosy and playful today....

More future reference pattern: Simplicity 5169 from 1972, gathered dirndl style dress -- I couldn't find one in Esme's size, maybe I can at a later date (or she'll grow hahaha and I'll find one in her size then)

2 comments:

Jaime Mclean Dalrymple said...

Hi, I'm the one who saw you at the store today. I just sat down to write to you and apologize for being so blunt and then running away. You seemed uncomfortable and I didn't want you to think I was some kind of stalking weirdo.

I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Jaime. I live in McKenzie with my husband and 2 yea old son. I also have a craft/handmade home blog. If you like, you can check it out. It is: www.everythingidreamed.blogspot.com.

I found your blog when I moved here from MI a couple of years ago. I was just doing google searches to find any crafty community in the area. My husband has actually been pushing me to email you for a long time. I am usually very shy about those things, which is why I kinda surprised myself today when I approached you.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

RheLynn said...

Hi Jaime! Definitely love the blog at Everything I Dreamed! You have some great projects and recipes. I'll be following you :) I really am the 'shy' type too in person - so I was temporarily taken aback and not knowing what to do *ha* sorry, it must have seemed so rude of me. I'm glad you said 'hi' and even gladder you've given me a way to respond.

And - I could learn a lot from minimalist crafting... my supplies are all over the place ;)

and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, as well!