Monday, March 03, 2008

Crafting365: day six Esme wears a funny bonnet


Esme: "Mom, I look silly!"
She was such a good sport about it though ;)

Not every sewing project hits the target ;) I think subonnets are cute and practical. Am I old-fashioned? Maybe I am, a little. I saw GrandmasGirl's shop at Etsy where she was selling prairie sunbonnets for baby to play outside in.

Then I remembered I had most of an old pattern for one from the flea market. How hard could it be to make? Well, a little harder than I thought, especially with *most* of the pattern. I was missing the bottom piece and had to make it up. I'll try again and do things differently! In the meanwhile, I'll use this one when Esme and I go out for walks in the sunshine ;)

Yes Rhelynn, you CAN sew a baby dress...
The bonnet was a good warm-up towards making a dress for Esme. I'd been thinking of one ever since I saw little dresses with ruffled sleeves at My Poppet shop blog. Also LittleGirlPearl's Flickr pictures impressed me further. I thought that at least with baby patterns you only waste one yard of fabric instead of four ;) So, I talked myself into it and bought an 'easy' dress pattern in size 1 yr. It's waiting to be finished right now...


Reminder: Ultimate Blog Party (for women bloggers only) at 5 minutes for Mom is March 7-14. I found out about it at WonderMommy.

6 comments:

mrspao said...

So cute :) I thought of Laura Ingalls straight away!

Anonymous said...

She is so cute, you did a great job with that bonnet. I made a bonnet for my daughter using Amy Karol's pattern, and I love it when she wears it.

Jeanne said...

I can see a bonnet would be very practical for keeping sun off infant faces....especially since it ties on.

Tara said...

Your daughter is so cute, and I love the slugs and shrooms! Such crafty goodness!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG she looks so damn cute!!!

Ladeewolf said...

That bonnet's so cute and practical, they keep saying that sunscreens don't do the whole job and some may even be bad for you. That look on Esme's face is priceless too, so patient.